SCNA Meetings Open

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Tue Oct 5 19:32:02 PDT 1999

	Mel, who has worked very hard to boost SCNA, makes the point that
information is flowing freely in the organization.  She summarizes the
board meetings, the excomm meetings, and the general meetings to explain.

	(I've left Mel's text below for reference.)

	However, it turns out that there are two failings with these
meetings as communication methods.  (1) There is no advance notice of what
is going to happen at the meetings, so members can't know if the meeting
will be worth their attending.  (2) There is no input at the meetings
(except at the general meeting where no decisions can be made).

	The bottom line is, a member finds out, NOT what is going on in
SCNA, but what has been alread done to him/her in SCNA.  Sometimes, this
is what has been done FOR him/her, but this is all after-the-fact
information.

Information is certainly being withheld.

	The Ops committee, one of the best and most active of the
committees, has taken up establishing a revised (more stingent) security
policy.  Unfortunately the committee has intentionally decided to NOT let
the SCNA or SCN membership know about the existence of or the specifics of
the policy and also intentionally decided to NOT get input and review from
the SCNA or SCN membership.  The committee has been urged repeatedly to
open up this process but, for reasons of quick action, has directly and
intentionally declined.

	Mel, you have directly stated that information is no being
withheld, intentionally or not.   I think you will be surprised.  Could
you contact Rhodes Hileman, the very capable coordinator of Ops, and get
an update.  Could you then send a letter on the SCN list, and any others
on which this discussion has occurred, and tell us if this information
will continue to be withheld before it is sent to excomm or to the board?
Thanks.

	I encourage those reading this to write to the board
(scna-board at scn.org) and ask for a copy of the security policy and ask
that the discussion be opened.  Members can be thrown out of the
organization for violating some of the parts of the policy. Members should
know about it BEFORE it is adopted.

	Mel's plea for volunteers to help with information distribution is
good, and anyone wanting to do so, contact her.  However, the board or
excomm or Ops committee withholding the agendas of their respective
meetings is not due to a lack of volunteer effort.  It is simply the
decisions to not do this.  Each committee has to have an advance agenda to
have a productive meeting, so it is a simple matter to post it days in
advance of the meeting.

	Thanks, again, to Mel, for getting this discussion going on these
lists.

Later,

Rich