background checks

Kurt Cockrum kurt at grogatch.seaslug.org
Sat Oct 23 13:51:34 PDT 1999

>From Steve's post:
>[...]
>Washington is in the second year of using a statewide screening
>process and firmly believes that having an Extension volunteer
             ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>screening process says that Extension cares about the safety of the
                   ^^^^                ^^^^^
>children and youth participating in its programs.

More marshmallow stuff.
"We are unwavering in our determination not to wobble,
 resolute in our firm resolve not to waver,
 and we are adamant in our resolutions" :)

>In Spring 1990, a mail survey asked Extension agents in 40
>Washington counties about the process. Of the 32 respondents, two
>said that the process had "not worked very well," 10 answered
>"okay," 15 "well," and five "very well." Agents liked receiving the
                                                 ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>necessary forms from the state Extension bulletin office and the 10-
>day or less turn around time for the Washington State Patrol to
>conduct the conviction check.

So what's the story on the two dissatisfied agents?
Did a psychopath slip thru the process and proceed to decimate
the county's children before being shot by a sniper?  Two times in
two counties?  Or maybe it was the 2 agents that slipped thru?
Devious rascals!  Or are they just soreheads not with the program?
Inquiring minds want to know :)
--kurt