Origin of the "background checks?" thread (big)

Kurt Cockrum kurt
Tue Oct 26 22:24:56 PDT 1999

	<199910212047.NAA16931 at scn.org>

This is an attempt to respond for Melissa's recent call to port the
back-ground-check thread to the <scn at scn.org> list.  I digestified it
so people can get some background and a sense of what ground has been
covered.  All the principals have agreed to have this posted.  You
could regard them as the coauthors of the collective work.  When/if
anybody replies to this *please* *do* *not* let your mailer append this
to your posting, or you will surely be reincarnated as an intestinal
parasite!

It all seems to begin begin with my message declassifying the thread on
the hardware list because of topic-drift, and questioning the proposed
policy.  The post it responds to contains sensitive material and so is
not included.  Although it wouldn't bother me much if if somebody else
divulged it :)

I have edited out all the .sig-stuff superfluous to ID'ing the actors,
and all the "you said" stuff, where it isn't part of a
point-by-point-style argument (typically the stuff appended as a block
to the body of the message, prefixed with ">").  What remains is, I
hope, a reasonably accurate transcription of the conversation up to
now.  I think the rest of the coauthors agree with this.

Joel has reminded us of a policy that apparently exists that seems to
prohibit e-mail posted to the <hardware at scn.org> list from being
forwarded outside the list (it's in this digest, in fact; see
<Pine.SUN.3.96.991019145523.3019B-100000 at scn>).  I think the intent of
this policy is to restrict the scope of distribution of confidential or
sensitive technical or personal information rather than comments and
opinions on overall SCN policy that occur within the list.  In fact,
the post I respond to that started this thing falls under that
sensitive category.

So some political opinions expressed on the hardware list that I think
are parts of the thread are being posted in this digest, since they
reveal no confidential information, and could be posted with no editing
of their content.  It probably won't hurt to point out that the dual
objectives of free political discussion and technical confidentiality
are preserved -- which does not violate any policy, but helps fulfil
our mission.

Without further ado...
<thread>