Microsoft "sorry" after hackers access accounts

Brian High kv9x at scn.org
Wed Sep 1 08:57:29 PDT 1999

<snip>
  The security risk was so serious Microsoft
  disconnected its popular Hotmail system until the
  loophole was closed.

  Hackers - those who break into computer systems -
  are drastically restricting Internet development.
</snip>

Hackers?  Crackers?  Anyway, I thought their mission
was to show users that the software products they are
using are poorly crafted ... thus aiding internet
security development.  (i.e., "testing")

<snip>
  "People have been putting credit card numbers and
  everything onto the Internet and thinking it must be
  secure, everybody else is doing it," said one user.

  Another added, "If I have a business and problems
  like this occurred I would consider legal action."

  Computer users have little choice but to trust that
  their privacy is being properly safeguarded.
</snip>

Little choice?  Trust?  I would rather place my trust
in a non-profit free-net then a profit-driven corporation
any day!

And what ever happened to learning how systems works so
we don't have to "trust"?  There are a lot of good
books out there ...

http://www.itn.co.uk/Business/bus19990831/083101bu.htm