Training/teaching opportunities for SCN

Burke Dykes dichter at scn.org
Thu Sep 23 07:03:24 PDT 1999

There has been some discussion lately--on several lists--about SCN's
limited training program(s) and the possible impact on our not for profit
status. Perhaps we are focussing too much on using our own
hardware/software. There are a zillion opportunities in the Seattle area
for training by volunteer individuals/groups.

I am teaching several classes at the Senior Center of West Seattle and at
the Delridge Community Center. These particular classes are targetted at
senior citizens and they range from "beginning computer" through "intro to
word processing" to "getting connected to the internet". I have the
opportunity to teach between 19 and 32 hours per month and I find it very
rewarding--this is a group that is really interested and grateful for any
help they can get. Particulaly at the senior center an organization could
come in and offer almost any kind of class that they wanted: spreadsheet,
data base, making greeting cards, etc. etc. They expect to get a DSL line
in the near future and then the need for instructors will really
skyrocket.

I don't think the foregoing example is unique. There is a tremendous need
for volunteer instructors in the community at large--if we are willing to
look outside of our own facility.

How about it? If we want opportunities, they are out there!

Burke