Training/teaching opportunities for SCN

Anitra Freeman anitra at speakeasy.org
Tue Sep 28 17:22:26 PDT 1999

I'm way behind on my mail and coming in on the middle of a thread.  My
humble apologies and Virtual Chocolate if this is off-topic.

Does anyone want training/volunteer opportunities?  I've got a couple:

) Real Change now has a full-time Computer Workshop -- but not full-time
monitors.  We would happily appreciate any help, even for an hour or so,
from people skilled in Macintosh, Word, Photoshop, Pagemaker and
Internet skills (search, downloading, FTP, email) -- or any combination
of the above -- who are willing to hang out and field questions.
Workshop hours are RC office hours, 8-6 weekdays, 10-2 Saturdays.  I
know that's difficult for most volunteers -- which is why we need
people.  < wheedle> We have great coffee and lot of bagels. < /wheedle>

) The Workshop is unstructured -- individuals come in to work on their
own projects and they ask questions when they need help.  We have also
started a structured class, every Sunday from 3-5PM.  Any volunteer
instructors welcome!

) Anyone want to "adopt-a-writer" or "adopt-an-artist" -- work
one-on-one with a homeless/low-income writer or artist to create their
own webpage?  We have some of this going on already, but we still have
more writers/artists than we have skilled mentors.

If anyone on the list is interested in any of this, or wants more
information, please write to me at alf1701 at scn.org

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"Never doubt that a small group of imperfect people can improve the
world--indeed they are the only ones who ever have." Not Margaret Mead