SCN: Register before May 1st!

Doug Schuler douglas
Fri Apr 21 13:12:47 PDT 2000

Please help us by forwarding to interested people.  We really
think you'll enjoy this!

-- Doug

  ~ Please forward to interested colleagues and lists.  Thank you! ~

Last announcement before the May 1st early registration cut-off!
Save money!  Register now.  The registration form is located at
http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00/regform.html

Don't miss this exciting and historic symposium!

                              We hope to see you in Seattle this May!

There is more to digital communication than e-commerce!!!

                    SHAPING THE NETWORK SOCIETY
          The Future of the Public Sphere in Cyberspace

    A Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility Symposium

                  http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00

                       May 20 - May 23, 2000
                   University of Washington HUB
                     Seattle, Washington, USA

       Cyberspace is likely to become the dominant medium through which
       people create and share information and ideas in the future.  How
       these conversations about the environment, culture, leisure, and
       political decisions, are conducted is everybody's business.

Please join Bill Joy, Nancy Kranich, Howard Rheingold, Veran Matic,
Gary Chapman, Natasha Bulashova, Cees Hamelink, Geert Lovink, Lodis
Rhodes, Marleen Stikker and many others to address these critical
issues.

What directions and implications does cyberspace foretell for
community, democracy, education, culture and the environment?

This symposium is the seventh in CPSR's "Directions and Implications of
Advanced Computing" (DIAC) symposium series.  This symposium tackles
important public interest issues related to computing and communications
that are often neglected by policy makers and the news media.

The objective of DIAC-2000 is to integrate many perspectives,
conversations, and people from around the world.  What is the public
sphere in cyberspace?  What should it be?  How can people use it?  What
experiments, projects, and policies should we initiate?

    We need stories, theories, and ideas that can help us
       discuss,
          reflect,
             and take action!

Social and environmental activists, educators, technologists,
government officials, artists, journalists, researchers, and citizens
are coming from all over the world to participate in this important event.
Prominent researchers and activists from Europe who are working on issues
from human rights to cultural policy will also present their work.  A research
thread also runs through the symposium: Over 40 researchers will present their
findings on how academia and the civic sector can work together and learn
from each other.

Although we are still shaping up the agenda we are expecting the
following eminent participants in addition to those listed above.

  + Oliver Boyd-Barrett, World Communication Trends, California State
    Polytechnic University, Pomona, California
  + Fiorella de Cindio; Milano Rete Civiche; Milan, Italy
  + Penny Goldsmith; Poverty Network; Vancouver, Canada
  + Susana Finquelievich; Buenos Aires, Argentina
  + Partha Pratim Sarker; Bytes for All; Dhaka, Bangladesh
  + Ron Sims, King County (Washington) Executive
  + Judy Sparrow; National Telecommunications and Information Agency;
    Washington, DC.
  + Nicol Turner; Mapping Community Assets; Net Consulting Group, Chicago

There will also be 30 interactive workshops covering a
variety of topics including setting up your own community network,
community asset mapping, open source jounalism and many others.  On
Monday and Tuesday (May 22 and 23) we will host a variety of focused
meetings on emerging topics such as "Selling Out/Buying In:
A Presentation and Fishbowl Discussion about the Future of Culture in
Seattle's New E-conomy", a Seattle Art Museum/Open Studio Workshop,
co-sponsored by the Seattle Arts Commission.

Time and Place. On-site registration opens at 8:00 AM on May 20 and
9:00 on May 21.  The program begins at 9:00 AM on May 20 and 9:30 on May
21.  The program ends at 5:00 PM on May 20 and 6:00 PM on May 21.  The
main events will take place in the HUB Auditorium at the University of
Washington.

DIAC-2000 promises to be one of the most timely and significant
conferences on cyberspace themes ever.  We expect an exciting dialogue
between artists, educators, librarians, researchers, government
officials, journalists, and other community members.  Mark your
calendars to attend and help us make "Shaping the Network Society: The
Future of the Public Sphere in Cyberspace" as important and inspiring
as possible.

DIAC-2000 is sponsored by
             Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

DIAC-2000 is co-sponsored by the Daniel Evans School of Public Affairs
(UW), the Association For Community Networks, Friends and Partners, the
Seattle Art Museum / Open Studio, and the Seattle Community Network
Association.  We'd like to thank the Rockefeller Family Foundation and
the Morino Institute for their support.

Need more information? Contact Doug Schuler, douglas at cpsr.org,
206.634.0752.