SCN: Re: OPS: w3m ... was: Re: Why have we not upgraded Lynx?

AH bb156 at scn.org
Tue Feb 22 15:45:21 PST 2000

Rod,

I guess you could call w3m a "toy", but only if you will agree that Lynx
is also a toy. Both are fully functional text browsers (with quirks and
limitations, as all browsers do.) The reason I raised this issue of an
upgrade for Lynx 2.7.2 was the absence of support for SSL. This newer
browser will support SSL straight out of the box. What's to preclude the
use of both browsers on SCN? What can I do to expedite the installation of
one and/or the upgrade of the other?

-Andrew

               Link: The High-Tech How Not to be Seen, Part 5

                  The High-Tech How Not to be Seen, Part 5
                    by Marcel Gagné <mggagne at salmar.com>
                                 3-Dec-1999

   While I was hunting around for applications for SSL (I do check these
   things out, you know), I found a cool little text-only browser. Yes, I
   admit it; I often find myself using Lynx when I am on a text-only
   telnet connection with a customer and I need to look for something on
   the 'net. That's how I ran across W3M, a text-only browser like lynx,
   only more so. Aside from its ability to deal with SSL connections, it
   can also handle tables and frames and color. You can even use your
   mouse (with gpm) to click your way from URL to URL. All this for the
   low, low price of ... nothing. The programmer has a sense of humour,
   evident from his README file. Here it is in its entirety.

   If you can read English, see doc/*.
   If you can read Japanese, see doc-jp/*.
   If you can read both, read both and correct English. :-)

   W3M is worth checking out. The appropriate address is
   http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/.

2¢
2¢ > This new browser (w3m) sounds like it is ahead of Lynx and may
2¢ > run on Solaris.
2¢ >
2¢ > I have not tried it, but review sounds interesting.
2¢ >...
2¢ > http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/
2¢
2¢ Brian,
2¢
2¢    w3m is running in another window on my desktop at the moment.
2¢ It's interesting but seems incomplete. (This is the Win32
2¢ version that uses Cygnus' cygwin32 bash shell or actually the
2¢ tools and API that come with that shell. You can get cygwin32
2¢ from cygnus.com. You'll have to start it up before running w3m.)
2¢
2¢    The display of tables and frames is good, from what little
2¢ I've seen so far. But the user interface is underdeveloped. Or
2¢ else I just haven't found the right help files for it. It might
2¢ be interesting to install it on SCN, though.
2¢
2¢    I'm looking at the Compline Choir with it now, and at the
2¢ same page in Netscape 4.7 in another window. I haven't yet found
2¢ the info about using viewing graphics with an external viewer.
2¢ Well, it's an interesting toy, at least. But I'm going to have
2¢ to put it away and catch up with other stuff.
2¢
2¢ Rod
2¢