SCN: RE: Re: OPS: w3m ... was: Re: Why have we not upgraded Lynx?

Steve and Melissa Guest guests at scn.org
Wed Feb 23 14:58:38 PST 2000

Hi Folks
There are several issues here and the water seems to be a little cloudy.
I would like to see if I can summarize what seems to be at issue here.
1)  Should SCN be offering the most up to date versions of software?
2)  Should SCN react positively to all user's requests for software?
3)  Should SCN have a forum for user's to wish-list changes?

I am not trying to initially solve the current issue, but want to ensure
we are clear that we have these three, at least, issues under discussion.
Of course, I too have a view on all three.

>From my personal point of view, the issue is not one of funds, it is one
of volunteer time.  SCN has a team of operations volunteers that are
currently working on many issues that may not be apparent.
1)  Remember the sighs as we got FreePort and the Sun OS to limp past Y2K
challenges.  Well that had several volunteers installing patches on our
many machines.
2)  In addition, we had others working on a FreePort replacement, just in
case.
3)  There is also the urgent need to get our email services integrated.
This has now become a major priority.
4)  While others are working on the installation of security to stop us
being attacked, again.  Moreover, they have been successful.
5)  Plus we have volunteers working on the plans to move our equipment,
when they raise the library.
6)  New software has to be installed, modified, evaluated, and tested to
ensure that we do not make the service vulnerable to misuse.
7)  Ensuring new volunteers can be integrated and do not compromise the
service is another time-sink.
8)  We have to run the service 24-7 which also requires vigilant
volunteers.

We are not an ISP with paid staff and volunteers with the level of skill
required to do these tasks are not common.  Therefore, we have to set some
priorities.  Sometimes these are not clear to our users.  It would be
great to be able to provide everything that everybody wanted - but the
string is only so long.  Currently, we have it stretched to its limit and
shouting cannot improve that.  In fact it would be great if some would
acknowledge the hard work the team is doing and not simply criticize their
apparent failings.

Again it would be great to do everything for everyone, but even Microsoft
can't manage that.  Therefore, it would be wonderful if we could all work
together and maybe praise their hard work sometimes.  Then maybe user's
requests will be seen as enhancements worth doing rather than their
shortfalls.

Thanks
Steve
  Melissa & Steve Guest                     Seattle Community Network
425 653 7353 - 8am to 11pm                      http://www.scn.org

   "Supporting People and Communities with Free Internet Services"