SCN: Re: OPS: w3m ...

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Feb 24 09:12:17 PST 2000

Moments after I had resolved NOT to muddy this conversation with any of
my comments I ran across a comment that *needed* a response.

Rod's comments (below) that CPSR set up SCN in such a way that we
wouldn't get substantial corporate, foundation, or govenment support
doesn't square with my recollections.  One of the main reasons that we
didn't get any support was that we didn't ASK.  I can remember only one
previous time when we submitted a grant proposal (to the Bullitt
Foundation to help environmental groups).  The main reason (in my
recollection) we didn't seek grants is that seeking grants is hard work
and we didn't seem to be able to find the time.  I don't think it was
ever an explicit POLICY decision that forbade making proposals.

I am in favor of developing innovative community technology projects
and finding funds for them.  What I think we need to resist is reliance
on one or two resources for all of our revenues, fees for services, and
(especially?) advertising.

-- Doug

PS.  Just in case anybody finds it useful I'll mention my
article (now four years old) on how to kill community networks...
http://www.scn.org/ip/commnet/kill-commnets.html.