SCN: Terms of service

Steve steve at advocate.net
Tue Jun 20 13:38:21 PDT 2000

x-no-archive: yes

=======================

Don't get boxed in by changes to your service providers' TOS
agreement

by Ed Foster

(InfoWorld)---Protecting yourself against sneakwrap terms on the
Internet is simple. All you have to do is spend virtually all your
online time reading reams of legalese to make sure they haven't
changed since the last time you were logged in.

If you don't believe me, go read the posted terms of service, privacy
policy, acceptable use policy, and so on, of the service you use
most often. Chances are you'll find that the service provider
reserves the right to change those terms at any time, and the mere
posting of the new terms is sufficient notice to you. The provider can
start charging you more while giving you less or start selling
information about you to whomever it likes. And your continued use
of the service is deemed sufficient to indicate approval of the new
terms, even if you didn't happen to notice the change.

Part of this trend that I find particularly worrisome is the way that
"free" Internet services are adopting the harshest sneakwrap terms
of all. The TOS (terms of service) for Winfire's FreeDSL that we
discussed last week are the scariest I've seen in their repeated
assertion of the company's right to change what you're getting or
what you're paying for it at any time. And this even applies to
FreeDSL's extended services for which there is a charge. The TOS
very explicitly state that the company will charge a $200
cancellation fee even when the customer is terminating due to "a
change in features by Winfire ... or by reason of a modification of
terms by Winfire ... ." (They do promise to give extended service
customers 30 days' notice of such changes via e-mail, but of course
that promise could be eliminated when they change their terms.)

FreeDSL isn't the only free service with sneakwrap terms that have
raised eyebrows. NetZero's legalese defines four different
documents posted on its site -- its terms and conditions, acceptable
use guidelines, software license agreement, and privacy statement --
 collectively as NetZero's "Rules." Of course, it goes on to say that
NetZero can change those Rules and the scope of NetZero at any
time by posting new terms, and that's the only notice you'll get, and
so on. And then it adds a kicker: "Each time before using the
NetZero Services, you agree to review changes to the Rules and, if
any change is not acceptable to you, you agree to terminate use of
NetZero Services."

By my count, those four documents total over 11,000 words. No date
or other clue in the documents themselves will let you know if it's
changed since the last time you read it. How long does it take to
read 11,000 words of thick legalese? I'm not sure, but NetZero users
who don't spend that time at the beginning of every Internet session
are violating their agreement with the service. Somehow I doubt this
is the kind of freedom that the Russian defector in the company's TV
commercial had in mind.

Am I being paranoid? Maybe. After all, we haven't seen any of these
free services actually take advantage of their sneakwrap terms to
start charging their customers. To do so, as the Winfire official said
last week, would be tantamount to closing down their business.
Besides, what do the customers of these free services expect? They
aren't paying anything, so they shouldn't be surprised if these
companies take steps to protect themselves against unforeseen
circumstances. You get what you pay for.

Based on what we've seen in the past, though, I can't help but think
that these draconian terms are there to be used. In the last year we
have seen services that you do pay for such as Excite at Home,
Cox at Work, and US West try to quietly change their service
offerings without customers noticing. Yahoo tried to slip its content-
grabbing terms past users of the just-acquired GeoCities last spring.
And there was the well-publicized case of RealNetworks changing its
privacy policy after RealJukebox users discovered the program was
sending personal information about them to the company.

The RealNetworks example brings us to the heart of the issue
concerning free services and sneakwrap. There is indeed no such
thing as a free lunch; the coin with which customers pay for free
services is the privacy they agree to give up. Just how much
privacy they surrender -- be it ads displayed on their system, usage
information shared with partners, or whatever -- is spelled out in
privacy statements. Providers of free services are making it clear by
their aggressive sneakwrap language that they want the right to
change those privacy polices without notice.

Free-service providers that are unable to turn a profit -- and there
will be many -- won't have to start charging to open a new revenue
stream. They just need to change their privacy policy so they can
sell more information about their customers. Companies that do
charge have done it; why expect companies that don't to behave any
better?

Copyright 2000 InfoWorld Media Group, Inc.