SCN: Put up or shut up.

Kenneth Crandall grayfox at foxinternet.net
Fri Jun 23 17:40:58 PDT 2000

Hi Rich,

I found your review of my Lack of logic and the determination that there
were 4 errors in the message that I sent very interesting.  It is satisfying
to know that we can deal on the level of logic.

I have found that logic tends to be very dependant upon your world view (I
find the sacrifice of children to a god as illogical but there are world
views where is practice is logical).  I will not get into a protracted
discussion in a forum type environment but I will try to explain my
rationale (even if it is fuzzy logic) so you can better understand what was
behind my previous message.

I believe that a brief discussion of two possible world views will be useful
since I  operate in the second of these views.  One world view is satisfied
with the concept that the many things that you do or that happen to you in
your life can be separated into different compartments and each compartment
is unrelated to any other compartments and actions and consequences that
occur in one compartment have no bearing on anything in another compartment
of your life.  A second world view believes that life is a continuum and all
that you do and the things that happen to you and those around you are
related.

I therefore believe that your actions in any organization will have an
impact on how well you function in that organization.  Likewise your actions
will affect how you are treated in that organization.  Therefore I can't
agree that your previous "in-your-face" communications are unrelated to this
issue.  I reject error #1.

I currently serve in another organization that is associated with teaching
computer skills.  Each area of teaching is headed up by a coordinator.  Once
in a while the coordinator finds that they have to tell a teacher that they
will have to make changes in their teaching materials or else they can no
longer teach the specific course.  This is done to insure that the students
are prepared for further courses.  These events are dealt with quietly and
routinely.

I don't know the details in the event that you call a "rogue action" but it
doesn't sound too different than the type of actions noted above. I have to
assume that SCNA can determine who can teach their courses.  Further, I
can't believe that removal of an instructor requires a "board action".
Therefore in the absence of specific information about detail actions that
violated usual norms, I am left to assume that people have acted  properly.
Thus I would believe your second complaint (error #2) is a moot point unless
removal all instructors specifically requires board action.

Again, since there has never been any data presented showing that board
members acted "outside permissible board action", I have to support the
indemnification of the board members until it is shown that they have acted
improperly.  This is necessary to protect board members from nuisance
lawsuits.  If it is determined by a properly constituted review body that
the board members acted improperly, then a claim can be made that they acted
"outside permissible board action".  Has this been done?  I can't accept the
decision of the claimant that the action was unacceptable. (so much for
error #3)

The cause of my anger is my belief that this whole issue is primarily a
problem of personalities.  This type of problem should be handled within
normal inter-personal activities.  However, resolution requires basic civil
communication skills (what this issue again?).  I still haven't seen any
evidence of a significant offence that should result in a lawsuit, that
jeopardizes SCNA's existence, to seek justice.  If every volunteer
organization that had to ask a person to stop teaching was faced with a
lawsuit, there would be very few such organizations.  (fortunately this is
not the case).

If you really want to know how illogical I am, I still have hopes that you
will see how others view this issue and that you will, in the best behalf
for SCNA, drop the lawsuit.  Isn't that crazy?
								Ken