SCN: press release from the city - tech indicators

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Jun 29 09:38:05 PDT 2000

Seattle is developing a set of technology indicators
that are designed to show effects of technology -- both
good and bad -- on our city.

Here is the link...
http://www.cityofseattle.net/news/detail.asp?ID=905

-- Doug

   Paul Schell, Mayor

   NEWS ADVISORY
   SUBJECT:   Results of study regarding impacts of technology on the
   community to be released
   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
   6/27/00 FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
   David Keyes - (206) 386-9759
   Katherine Schubert-Knapp  (206) 684-0909
   Kathy Sugiyama  (206) 684-0909

        City to release signposts for a technology-healthy community
    Technology impact study results presented to City Council committee
                                   July 5

   SEATTLE The results of the first phase of Seattles study of the
   impacts of technology on the community will be presented to the City
   Council Public Safety and Technology Committee at 2 p.m. on July 5 by
   Seattle's Department of Information Technology and the Citizens
   Telecommunications and Technology Advisory Board (CTTAB).

   This first in the world set of "indicators for a technology-healthy
   community" measures the overall impact technology is having on our
   community. These indicators are already being seen as a potential
   national model for other communities.

   "Technology in the modern age tends to become enmeshed in ever larger
   complex systems that have major implications for society. There is a
   need to understand the influence and directions of technology and
   technological systems, both positive and negative," says Doug Schuler,
   author, teacher and former CTTAB member.

   Seattle has created a new model for evaluating the impact both
   positive and negative technology is having on our region. "We think of
   technology indicators as signposts that mark and measure our progress
   in developing a technology-healthy city," says David Keyes, Seattles
   community technology planner. "These indicators will become working
   tools for those who plan, fund and implement programs intended to
   close the digital divide and build a sustainable community."

   The Indicator Project is a two-phase effort measuring the impact of
   information technology on the health and vitality of Seattle. The city
   and CTTAB worked with other technology, education, and community
   leaders to develop this set of impact indicators that will be used to
   measure information technologys impact over time.

   This set of indicators represents the completion of Phase I of the
   project. The next step will be to collect the first set of data for
   these indicators. Data will be collected and assembled from existing
   sources, surveying, and focus groups as appropriate.The purpose of
   this project is to understand the influence and directions of
   information technology and technological systems both positive and
   negative in the Seattle region and to use these indicators to target
   programs and secure additional resources. These indicators are
   intended to be measured over time, and the city currently has a goal
   of collecting and publishing the data every two years. For more
   information, visit the project web site at:
   [11]http://www.cityofseattle.net/tech/indicator_main.htm