SCN: SCN Board Election Results

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Wed Mar 1 06:32:46 PST 2000

Ken Applegate wrote:
> The SCN message of the day had the results from last night's election:
> ... [names of new directors]
> If you go to the SCNA page, the only details of the meeting are a
> repeat of the above. I'm not sure we need to see the "gory details"
> of last night's meeting, but I *would* like to see an actual tally of
> the vote broken down by candidate and also total vote relative to
> total SCNA membership eligible to vote, and maybe a breakdown as to
> total votes at the meeting versus mailed in ballots. Hey, they do it
> for state and national elections, why not for SCNA? I for one would
> like to get a sense of how well our little slice of democracy is or
> isn't working.
>
> What do the SCNA bylaws state about making the results of elections
> known?

Ken,

   The vote totals are now up on the scna/election00 page, the
one that's linked from the SCN home page. There's an update flag
on the home page about it, and another on the SCNA page.

   The number of members who cast votes, the total number of
votes cast, and the number of votes for each candidate are
there. Sharma mentioned that she didn't record the number of
mailed-in ballots separately before counting all of the ballots
together, and that it would be inaccurate now to count only
those ballot cards with postmarks, because some came back in
envelopes and didn't have postmarks on the ballots themselves.
The bylaws don't go into detail about it.

Rod Clark

Following is the official text from Mel:

-----
ELECTION RESULTS

received 126 total ballots (from mail in, meeting and proxy). With up
to 3 votes each we had up to 378 votes. Several of those ballots came
in with less than three votes, for a total of 366 votes all together,
broken down as follows:

  Tyler C. Folsom - 34
  Randy Hayhurst  - 37
  Rich Littleton  - 20
  Tim McCormack   - 73
  Janos Szablya   - 42
  Joel Ware, IV   - 68
  Liz White       - 92

The count was performed immediately following the annual meeting, in
a private office up the street, with 5 board members and 2 nonboard
member volunters helping. The count was double checked for accuracy,
and the numbers balanced.