SCN: Re: OPS: A Preliminary Review of SSL

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Thu Mar 2 09:43:46 PST 2000

I think we're getting off track here.  There is NO NEED to worry about
user certificates here.  The ONLY thing that we need to do is enable Lynx
to verify a site's SSL certificate to establish an encrypted session.
This is what is known as an 'anonymous' SSL connection.  The host is the
only part of the connection that is supplying a certificate.  Typically,
there isn't even a request to the browser user to verify that they want to
accept the certificate.

If we get into CLIENT authentication, then we start to worry about
security of certificates, but not before.

-randy