SCN: Privacy

Steve steve at advocate.net
Wed Mar 8 15:05:06 PST 2000

x-no-archive: yes

===========================

Keystroke Loggers Save E-Mail Rants, Raising Workplace Privacy
Concerns

by Michael J. McCarthy

(Wall Street Journal)---The American workplace has been put on
notice that office computers can be monitored. But who could have
imagined the keystroke cops?

In a new threat to personal privacy on the job, some companies
have begun using surveillance software that covertly monitors and
records each keystroke an employee makes: every letter, every
comma, every revision, every flick of the fingertip, regardless of
whether the data is ever saved in a file or transmitted over a
corporate computer network. As they harvest those bits and bytes,
the new programs, priced at as little as $99, give employers access
to workers' unvarnished thoughts -- and the potential to use that
information for their own ends.

Say you draft a rant to the boss or a client, and then, thinking better
of it, delete the whole thing. Too late. One by one, all the keystrokes
have been sucked up and stored on your computer's hard drive or
sent as e-mail that a computer-system administrator or manager can
retrieve at his convenience.

Last December, Poplar Grove Airport in northern Illinois suspected
that one of its employees might be running a business of his own
from his office PC. So the privately run airport bought a "keystroke
logger" called Silent Watch and a license permitting it to install the
program on six of the airport's computers. Along the way, however,
the electronic stakeout snared some other workers.

Describing her career ambitions, a young office worker seemed to
have no clue her employer could delve so deeply into her computer.
Soon after arriving at her desk on Christmas Eve morning -- at
9:24:09, to be precise-she poured out her soul on a blank page of
Microsoft Word.

"I plan to obtain flight time by instructing and/or flying commuter
planes," she wrote. She then backspaced over "planes," and
substituted "jets." As she tapped away, it became apparent she was
drafting a scholarship application for a flight-science program at
Western Michigan University. "I know this is the career I want to
pursue and the moen" -- she backspaced over the "en"-and typed
"ney."

After correcting that typo, according to the airport's keystroke log,
she stopped again, backspaced over the word "money" and changed
it to "scholarship." So the sentence then began, "I know this is the
career I want to pursue and the scholarship I would receive ..."

This wasn't an e-mail or a document she sent over the company's
network. It was a work in progress, a draft, reconstructed letter by
letter, typos and all.

"We used to tell our people we could monitor everything -- even
before we really could -- just as a deterrent," says Chris Pauli, the
airport's computer-system administrator. "Now we really can."

"When else can you peer into someone's raw thought process?"
asks Peter A. Steinmeyer, a lawyer at Epstein Becker & Green in
Chicago who has studied Internet and privacy issues and who
represents management clients. Nonetheless, he says, while an
employee may try to argue that he reasonably expected his "draft"
thoughts to remain his own, courts have consistently held that
communications written on company-provided computers aren't
private under current law.

"There's no legal qualm about it," says Richard Eaton, who wrote
and now sells a keystroke-capturing program called Investigator.
"There may be an ethical one."

Mr. Eaton says his company, WinWhatWhere Corp., Kennewick,
Wash., has sold more than 5,000 Investigator software licenses
since the product was launched in August 1998. Customers, he
adds, include Exxon Mobil Corp., Delta Air Lines and Ernst & Young
LLP. Lockheed Martin Corp. says it is considering using the
software for "ethics investigations."

For all its sleuthing capabilities, Investigator is nothing more than a
shiny silver CD-ROM that costs $99 or less with volume discounts.
Mr. Eaton, who developed the program, burns the CDs right in his
home, which is also company headquarters.

"At first, I thought it was controversial," says the 47-year-old
entrepreneur, who sports close-cropped hair and a diamond-stud
earring. "Slimy," he adds.

The keystroke tracker evolved from a program he had been selling
to help companies measure how much time computer users were
spending on various projects. But after clients kept asking for
keystroke surveillance, he says, "I saw there is a legitimate security
need for it."

The keystroke software is part of a new "offline" workplace battle.
Many companies are concluding that they may be missing computer
mischief that doesn't involve the Internet or the corporate network,
both of which they can monitor. Right at their desktop PCs,
employees could be copying sales leads or pornography to or from
disks or CD-ROMs, or downloading bookkeeping software to run
their own businesses -- all of which could elude conventional
surveillance methods.

But some uses are strictly personal. Many people have bought the
Investigator program, Mr. Eaton says, to run down suspicions that
their spouses are being unfaithful in Internet chat rooms. They
simply download the software, then later see exactly what their
partners were typing. One mother ordered it to check on her teenage
children's computer use while she was away on vacation.

The Investigator program is designed to be covert. It doesn't show
up as an icon on the screen, and is hard to find among computer
files even when someone specifically searches for it. It is usually
installed on a worker's computer after hours, but it can also be
disguised in an e-mail attachment for an unsuspecting employee to
download as an "upgrade."

Recently, however, Mr. Eaton has added an onscreen notice,
informing the user that the PC could be monitored -- an alert a
systems manager can choose to have automatically displayed or
not. "If your purpose is to humiliate them, then don't tell them," Mr.
Eaton says. "If you want to stop abuse, tell them. Usually the threat
alone is enough."

Once Investigator is installed, the computer manager can choose
"alert" words like "boss" or "union" or specific names. Then any
time they appear in the text of an e-mail, note or memo, those
documents will be automatically e-mailed over a company's
computer network to the employee's supervisor or other designee.
(On a stand-alone computer, the document would have to be
retrieved directly from the hard drive.)

On the WinWhatWhere Web site's "We Get Mail" section is an e-
mail from Michael Nogrady, a computer technician. "Maybe
someday you will be ashamed," he writes. "Who knows, some
people will do anything for a dollar. I am not saying this to be cruel,
just asking if you have looked at this program morally."

Says Mr. Eaton, "I don't want to violate privacy -- I like my privacy.
But I don't want to be in a position of deciding who gets it and who
doesn't."

Customers generally don't have much to say about Investigator.
Exxon says it has a long-standing policy of not discussing products
it uses, lest it seem like an endorsement. Accounting firm Ernst &
Young confirms that it uses Investigator, but won't say how widely
or for what purpose. A spokesman for Delta says the airline's
information-technology division bought one copy of the software last
year and used it for internal testing "in one tiny area" of the division.
"We decided it's not something we want to pursue. It died a pretty
quick death," the spokesman says. "We don't want to be a police
agency."

While Mr. Eaton insists Investigator poses no legal problems, he
says his lawyer suggested he include a disclaimer in the licensing
agreement: "Any use of this software in conjunction with any
hardware, device or apparatus to surreptitiously intercept wire, oral
or electronic communications may violate state and federal laws."

Mr. Eaton refuses to discuss the specifics of how the software
intercepts keystrokes, and does so even before they reach the
author's screen. He does say, however, that Investigator is hooked
into the system before something called the "keyboard driver."

When a key is depressed, that action alone doesn't create the
corresponding letter on the monitor. Rather, pressing the "A" key,
say, causes a slight surge in the electrical current in a circuit board
below. Within 0.2 millisecond, a processor embedded in the
keyboard begins to generate a "scan code" for that key. It is then
sent to the keyboard driver, which translates it and tells the monitor
to display an "A." This roundabout route allows for keyboards with
foreign alphabets.

For sleuthing purposes, the fraction the route requires is time
enough to intercept the codes as they travel between the keys and
the monitor. The tiny time lag is important because sophisticated
hackers sometimes encrypt messages to outwit computer-system
administrators. Investigator, though, merely captures each
keystroke before it can be encoded.

A similar alphabetic interchange underlay last December's intrigue
at Poplar Grove Airport. About six months earlier, the airport and an
affiliate, Emery Air Charter Inc., in nearby Rockford, Ill., had hired a
programmer to design Web sites and work on special projects for
both companies at a salary of about $50,000. Both businesses,
which have about 120 workers combined, were growing rapidly,
building hangars for private pilots, running charter flights and
offering refueling and other aviation services.

But for weeks, says Steve Thomas, the 47-year-old chief executive
and owner of both businesses, their programmer was missing in
action. He disappeared into his office and produced almost nothing.
Mr. Pauli, the chief financial officer who doubles as system
administrator, would stop by to check on him. But Mr. Pauli says the
man "would always blank off his screen so I couldn't see what he
was doing."

When pressed, they say, the man was vague about his progress.
"He was always busy, and we couldn't tell on what," says Mr. Pauli,
30. "But I could see he was storing things on a CD-ROM."

Worried the man might be "trying to pirate some of our strategies
and secrets," Mr. Pauli says, he and Mr. Thomas huddled. "We
couldn't tap the phones -- it's illegal. We explored a camera to
videotape him," Mr. Thomas recalls.

One surveillance camera they looked at cost $3,500. But they
couldn't figure out how to position it to get good computer-screen
resolution or how to conceal it. Besides, Mr. Thomas adds, "we
weren't certain about the legality."

Then Mr. Pauli went on the Internet and found the maker of Silent
Watch. Adavi Inc., Dunkirk, Md., says it has sold more than 1,000
copies of the $159 monitoring program, which it started marketing
last July. Aside from keystroke logging, the desktop-monitoring
software can be programmed to send to a manager's screen via e-
mail a replica of precisely what is on an employee's screen at any
given moment -- text, graphics and all. Adavi says it has big
corporate clients, but that they are adamant in their refusal to be
identified.

Shelling out $237 for six licenses to Silent Watch -- "very
affordable," says Mr. Pauli -- he installed the software on the
computer of the mysterious programmer and on five others. In no
time, the keystroke logs revealed the man was making repeated
visits to pornographic Web sites, and sending and receiving
numerous sexually explicit e-mails, which he channeled through
Internet mail servers outside the airport's scrutiny.

"We were relieved our business wasn't being compromised," says
Mr. Thomas, but the programmer had to be confronted, and fired.
Messrs. Thomas and Pauli planned a sting. After monitoring the
keystroke log for several days, they say, they could see he
routinely visited the "inappropriate" sites early in the day.

So early one morning in late December, they prepared to swoop. As
Mr. Pauli watched the keystrokes spit out on the Toshiba laptop
computer in the CEO's office, Mr. Thomas grabbed a manila folder
and posted himself outside the closed door of the man's office, just
down the hall. When Mr. Pauli was certain the man had a
pornographic page on display, he gave the CEO the high sign, and
Mr. Thomas flung the door open. He says the man rapidly opened
another screen to cover the window he had been viewing.

After asking him what he was working on, Mr. Thomas says he
insisted the man show him what was behind the window
"maximized" on his screen. After objecting, the man finally
complied, and Mr. Thomas says, he saw something he will only
describe as "raunchy."

Mr. Thomas then launched into a dressing-down. "I have whole logs
here," he recalls saying, thrusting out the folder, which was filled
with printouts. "We don't pay you for that. You don't work here
anymore. Get your things, and get off the property," he remembers
telling the programmer, whom he refuses to identify, but who he
says appeared stunned. "His jaw dropped," Mr. Thomas says.

A few days later, he says, the airport got a fax from the man that
threatened legal retaliation. "We talked about it, and then ignored it,"
Mr. Thomas says. "We never heard from him again."

Since then, the company has acquired an additional 19 licenses for
Silent Watch. Mr. Pauli says he uses them mostly to trouble-shoot
computer glitches. With them, he adds, he discovered that some
employees were downloading a video game called Mercenary
during their weekend work shifts. "I printed out the installing logs,
and then showed them to their immediate supervisors," he says.
"There hasn't been a problem since."

Mr. Pauli says he generally is using Silent Watch to keep an eye on
computer misuse that hurts productivity, adding, "I don't care if they
type personal letters."

Neither does the software. A couple of days after December's sting
operation, Silent Watch was soaking up the scholarship plea of the
office worker, who the company declines to name but who it says
received a verbal reprimand for doing personal chores on company
time. "In addition to taking lessons," her note said at one point, "I
worked at an airport to learn the 'behind the scenes' " -- she then
backspaced over that, changing it to say "to learn the other aspects
of aviation besides flying."

Copyright 2000 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.