SCN: Redesigned Web pages

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Mon Mar 20 21:47:20 PST 2000

I don't usually send out blanket messages to the scn.org list, but I think
this one is important, and I'd like to generate some discussion on it.

I just had my first look at the redesigned SCN web pages. As far as
functionality goes, I imagine that once I get used to the new arrangement
of things, navigation will be about as easy [or difficult?] as with the
old pages.

However - with respect to the image we present to the world, my initial
response is "Whose home page have I reached?". There is only a minimal
logo on the home page, and nothing but a tiny logo on the "home" button on
subsidiary pages. NOTHING really grabs me in the first two seconds of
viewing and tells me "This is the Seattle Community Network, and it's
worthwhile hanging around and browsing this site". The old design may have
been a bit hokey, and possibly harder to navigate, and maybe harder to
maintain for technical reasons, BUT AT LEAST IT LET THE WORLD KNOW WHO WE
ARE!

I really, really think the new pages need a more prominent logo again, on
every page, to unify the site.

Ken

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!