SCN: Web and AOL

Steve steve at advocate.net
Fri Sep 8 09:12:58 PDT 2000

x-no-archive: yes

=========================

Web of Deterioration

(John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine)---How often have you had to help a friend
find something on the Web? This seems to happen over and over. And for
the life of me, I can't see why it has continued for all these years.

The scenario goes like this: (1) A friend can't find something; (2) the friend
moans to you; (3) you go online and find it in 15 seconds; (4) you explain
what to do; (5) a week later the process repeats. I now understand why AOL
is doing better than ever.

AOL used to be referred to as "training wheels for the Internet." Nobody
says that anymore. It seems as if people like training wheels, and they're
going to keep them on their bikes no matter what we say. In fact, if you told
many people today that AOL is "training wheels for the Internet," they'd look
at you as if you were from Mars. To most AOL users, AOL is the Internet.
Talk about a marketing coup de grace!

The success of AOL brings into focus numerous issues that many of us
technologists simply do not get, and many of them threaten to compromise
freedom and advancement on the Web. Here they are:

The Public's Failure to Become Savvy. This should concern us all. While
typical PC Magazine readers may possibly think that they have a
competitive edge because they can do things AOL mavens cannot, they
must also realize that there is a potential for AOL to take over content
distribution to such an extent that other sources of information dry up. This
should concern you deeply. It's your duty to show people the way out!

The Success of the Sticky Site. How the heck did this ever happen? I've
never thought much of the idea of so-called sticky sites that do everything
they can to keep people locked into one domain. Don't you hate hitting a
browser's Back button to get out of a site, only to find yourself trapped? The
Web is about linking all over tarnation. Is it possible that people simply are
not comfortable in an open world and need to be locked into a prison?

The Passive Nature of Users. This is something that we don't like to talk
about, but when you read the feedback letters for online columns, it's fairly
apparent that users are passive. They'll accept whatever kludge is
presented to them, and most people today like the status quo. Worse, there
is every indication that younger kids, who were raised around computers,
have no interest in them. They might get into a game or two, but that's about
all.

Porn. Sophisticated users don't want to admit this, but there is too much
porn on the Web--and it's keeping people from floating around too much for
fear of running into it. The idiocy of browser design has allowed browsers to
reopen with more porn each time you try to back-arrow out of a site, or when
you try to close the browser. The fact that this is tolerated by the World
Wide Web Consortium, which makes the standards, baffles me. I can see
my mom clinging to a closed system like AOL after having a porn-storm
experience out in the wild.

If that's not bad enough, there was the recent bust of some porn king who
apparently couldn't get rich enough selling porn, so he double-billed his
customers' credit cards. What a sweetheart! Can you imagine the
headaches that the credit card companies had to go through over this kind
of mess?

Media Scare Stories. While hundreds of thousands of people chat online
every day, the media plays up the story about the misanthrope who "uses
the Internet" to dupe some innocent girl into his lair, where he kills her.
"They Met on the Internet," the headline blares, as if the Internet were
essentially the worst bar you could find in the worst part of town. You'd go
there only to get into a fight or get killed. No woman should set foot in the
place. That depiction makes people not even want to associate with the
Internet, and it's a depiction that is definitely on the rise.

When you put these issues together, they add up to big Web problems--a
situation that spells money and profits for several of the big Web sites,
where site operators know how to play it safe. AOL is the perfect example.
Watch how every other big site does what it can to clone the AOL model.
Yahoo! is ahead of the pack, producing an almost-aol environment. You can
do e-mail there, go to an auction, read personals, read news. You can check
in to Yahoo! and never check out, because--like AOL--it has created its own
set of features to complement what's on the Web at large.

Unfortunately, the Web is about freedom. And like all freedom, unless it is
exercised and protected, this freedom is lost. The way things are going on
the Internet, freedom will be lost very soon unless something is done.

Copyright 2000 Ziff Davis Media