SCN: ISP

Steve steve at advocate.net
Sat Sep 16 10:15:46 PDT 2000

x-no-archive: yes

=======================

(John C. Dvorak, Forbes)---Imagine buying a car that comes with an
"Acceptable Use Policy" to which you have to agree. In the policy are pages
and pages of provisions, such as, "You may not use this car to commit
illegal acts, including but not limited to speed law violations and illegal U-
turns" and "You may not engage in seditious conversations within the
confines of the car." Finally, you are told that if you violate the policy the
car will be repossessed and your money will not be refunded.

You'd think the carmaker was crazy. But this is the kind of idiotic agreement
you are already making if you use almost any Internet access service.

Take the license for the popular AtHome cable modem system (check it out
at www.home.com/aup). It puts severe limits on how you can use the
service. The agreement can change without notice, and you are legally
bound by any new demands.

"They could suddenly demand you wear a bra and panties and dance in the
street, and you are contractually bound to it, the way this is written," says
Andrew Weill, a partner at Benjamin, Weill & Mazer, an intellectual property
firm in San Francisco.

Yet the AtHome agreement is not unusual. Internet access providers and
Web sites are doing anything possible to limit their liability and minimize
their responsibilities. Stephen Davidson, past president of the Computer
Law Association and a lawyer with Leonard, Street & Deinard, calls the
AtHome policy a "mutating bill of rights."

But don't expect mercy from a court of law. Says he, "If this policy is
presented properly to the user, then the court will uphold it as a contract,
despite the fact that nobody reads it. They were given the chance to read it."

Much of the AtHome contract is defensive legalistic blather designed to
keep the company out of court. The more onerous aspects of the agreement
are the bandwidth limitations imposed by AtHome. These suggest to me
that the service is having a hard time delivering on its promised bandwidth,
225 kilobits to 1 megabit per second upstream and 10 megabits
downstream.

The most ludicrous example of this is the chat room policy: "Any computer
or other device connected through the services may not maintain more than
two simultaneous chat connections. This includes the use of automated
programs, such as 'bots' or 'clones.' Automated programs may not be used
when the account holder is not physically present at the device." Anyone
who regularly chats online tends to have two or more chats going at once,
since data speeds are so slow. The conversations take forever. If AtHome
is concerned about someone typing to more than two people at once, then
something is terribly wrong with the architecture. According to the terms of
the agreement, if I get up to get coffee during a chat and my computer sends
an automatic message saying "I'll be right back," then I'm in violation.

And, yes, they can catch you because AtHome gives itself the right to spy
on your every activity, although it says its policy is not to do it routinely.
Isn't that comforting?

So let's stop right here. Big Web sites have legal notices. Software
packages have lengthy license agreements. Does anyone besides me
sense a creeping Soviet Union-type atmosphere here? Even ignoring the
eavesdropping, there is weird psychology in all these contracts: People
perceive them as a joke, knowing they can get away with violations without
much fear of getting caught.

In a Soviet-style system you are in violation of some law at any given time;
you just assume you won't get caught unless someone is out to get you.
When we live our lives this way, we end up as a community of Soviet-style
scofflaws. I believe this environment has given rise to services like
Napster. Young people, who were raised with computers, are more likely
than older people to ignore copyright laws and to freely trade music without
fear of serious reprisals.

No legal expert thinks any of this is going to subside in the short term. "All
this cyberactivity is a new frontier for the law. It will take years to sort itself
out," says Davidson.

Copyright 2000 Forbes.com