No subject

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Sep 21 17:17:48 PDT 2000

Hello!

Enclosed is an announcement about the proceedings from the
Seattle conference.  (Better late than never!)  I'm sending
this to a few lists that I believe are appropriate.  Please
accept my apologies if you get more than one copy of this!
BTW, please free to forward this announcement to any person
whom you think would be interested.  Thanks!

-- Doug

* Shaping the Network Society:                                     *
*   The Future of the Public Space in Cyberspace                   *
* DIAC-2000 Symposium Proceedings now available!!                  *
* For individual or classroom use (See below for bulk orders info) *

In May 2000, 400 activists, technologists, artists, researchers,
journalists, students, and citizens ventured to Seattle to help Shape
the Network Society, to help meet the needs of PEOPLE -- not business
or government.

The proceedings from this symposium contain 34 insightful and
innovative papers from the civic activists and researchers who are
making this happen. Topics include telecenters in Mexico, Hungary, and
other regions, using technology to build civic society in Nigeria,
shaping virtual communities, labor organizations and new communication
technology, navigating very large-scale digital conversations,
counterculture and cyberculture, Internet governance, domain name
policy, health promotion with ICT, progressive communications and
networking, and many many others. See table of contents
(http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00/toc.html) for the complete list of
papers and workshop descriptions.

Please help us find a good home for these proceedings. Discount prices
are available for orders of 10 of more.  Why not have your company or
school library purchase one?

  100 Free Proceedings!  Thanks to the National Science Foundation we
  will be distributing 100 free copies of the proceedings to people
  in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, Canada, the US, and
  elsewhere. If you feel that these proceedings would be useful to
  you and you feel that you or your organization can't afford them,
  please don't hesitate to apply for a free copy using the form
  at http://www.scn.org/cpsr//diac-00/proc-contents.html.  Just fill
  in your information and tell us how you plan to use the proceedings.
  We will begin sending the free copies out in October.

                            Purchase Information

Cost (for orders of 1 - 9 proceedings): $15 each
Please add the following for postage for each copy ordered.

     * $3 for addresses in the US
     * $6 for addresses in Canada
     * $9 for addresses in Mexico
     * $7 for addresses in other western hemisphere countries
     * $10 for addresses in Europe
     * $12 for addresses in Asia and Africa
     * $14 for addresses in Pacific Rim countries

Discounted cost (for orders of 10 or more proceedings): $12 each
Please add the following for postage for each copy ordered.

     * No postage for addresses in the US
     * $3 for addresses in Canada
     * $6 for addresses in Mexico
     * $4 for addresses in other western hemisphere countries
     * $7 for addresses in Europe
     * $9 for addresses in Asia and Africa
     * $11 for addresses in Pacific Rim countries

All prices listed in US dollars.

To order, use the secure online membership form at
[ https://swww.igc.apc.org/cpsr/sec-membership-form.html ] --putting
your order in the comments field,

or send a check in US$ to

       CPSR
       PO Box 717
       Palo Alto, CA 94302
       USA

Cyberspace is likely to become the dominant medium through which people
create and share information and ideas in the future.  How these
conversations about the environment, culture, leisure, and political
decisions, are conducted is everybody's business!