BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 20:35:06 PST 2001

Steve and Marlyn,

I totally agree with everything. Thought I'd bring up the topic of
the Victoria service, just to view things from another angle.

If SCN were to do it, it would have to turn it's switch from a
donation and grant related status and delve into the commercial
realm.

My main point is that computers can be had for free or at a very low
cost, however access to the internet is often an expensive
proposition.

And it's a pain-in-the-butt to go to the library and hope to get
online. Even as the libraries open, the terminals are swamped.

People should have access to low-cost internet access. Many people
don't have this option even if they have a P90 or PowerMac at their
disposal.

Patrick

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000100643dec20.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology