SCN: Stupidity

Steve steve at advocate.net
Mon Feb 5 14:10:01 PST 2001

x-no-archive: yes

========================

(Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)---Usability opponents often complain that
we user advocates are overly focused on stupid people. They
commonly claim that:

...We select stupid users for usability studies; our findings do not
apply to smarter users.

...Our recommendation to make simplicity a major design goal
stems from our misguided view that all users are stupid. In reality,
they claim, many users are capable of navigating complex sites.

...Some people are so stupid that technology is beyond their grasp;
making websites easy enough for everyone to navigate is an
unrealistic goal.

I'll now address each of these claims, and then examine how
attitudes about usability and user intelligence will impact business
as the Internet population grows.

Typically, when project managers observe their design undergoing
a usability test, their initial reaction is: Where did you find such
stupid users?

This is exactly what happened recently when I released a WAP
usability study. The study concluded that using WAP (to access the
Internet through mobile phones) is too difficult for most purposes. In
response, a group of big WAP investors rejected the findings,
issuing a press release that claimed that the study's outcome would
have been different if we had tested experienced WAP users.
Although this might be true, their response misses the point.

First, it ignores the fact that users' initial experience with a new
technology is crucial. People will never become experienced users
unless they are capable of learning the technology in the first place.

Second, our study's participants used WAP phones for a week, and
we tested them both at the beginning and the end of the period. If a
full week of use is insufficient to learn a user interface, we are
surely not talking about a mainstream consumer technology.

Usability lessons are not always easy to take. It is a painful
experience to sit in the back room watching as a user clicks every
button on the screen except the one button that "obviously" leads to
the answer.

The first time project members observe a usability study, they
almost always lapse into denial about the true lessons of the
experience. Until we bring in the second user. He or she typically
has many of the same problems as the first user. Then the third
user comes in, and again: many of the same problems. At this point,
designers often start to soften to the users' plight. If not, the fourth
or fifth user will do the trick.

When people have problems using a design, it's not because they
are stupid. It's because the design is too difficult.

Enthusiasts sometimes defend bleeding-edge technology and
complex designs with the claim that users actually like
sophisticated websites. Users, they assert, are smart enough to
handle complicated design.

These enthusiasts labor under a miscomprehension about the
Web's fundamental nature. It is not a question of whether users are
capable of overcoming complexity and learning an advanced user
interface. It is a question of whether they are willing to do so.

I have conducted many usability studies with users who had
immense computer experience, great aptitude for technology, and
high levels of IQ and education. These users are just like anybody
else: they just want to get their work done. They have neither the
desire nor the time to learn the idiosyncrasies of individual
websites.

If you have doubts, run a test with network system administrators or
international investment analysts, for example. What you'll discover
is that they face plenty of complicated problems in their own work
and they don't want to devote brain cells to your website or its
design. They want to get in, get out, and move on with their own
tasks.

Design complexity is a barrier for users. While they certainly might
be capable of jumping the barrier, why should they? The Web is
about freedom of movement. Anything that stands in the way of
immediate task completion will negatively impact the user's
experience.

Some people are smarter than others. Most readers of this column
probably belong to the top 10% of the population in terms of
intelligence. From such a vantage point, it is easy to think of other
people as being stupid. But perhaps it is more fair and more
accurate (not to mention more productive) to assume that the other
90% of the population form the mainstream audience. Not that they
are stupid.

Nonetheless, it might be true that some people do not have enough
intelligence to use sophisticated and advanced high-tech systems.
But are they online? Not likely at this point.

Even in the most wired societies like the United States and
Scandinavia, only half the population is currently using the Internet.
It continues to be quite an elitist medium. Thus, almost by definition
at this point, anyone who is now using the Web is probably a fairly
smart person. Given this, it makes no sense to blame users'
difficulty with a site or design on stupidity. When current Web users
have problems, it's because the design is too difficult.

As the Internet keeps growing, it will reach ever-broader segments of
the population. Five years from now we might in fact have people
online who could be indelicately described as stupid. Whether or not
such people should be included or excluded from the Web is a
political and social question: What percentage of the population can
we exclude from the new economy?

>From my perspective, the answer is "very few." Politicians might
say "zero," which is an honorable but unrealistic goal. Literacy
offers a good analogy here: While all rich countries aim at zero
illiteracy, there are always some children who don't learn to read.
Nonetheless, we cannot accept high illiteracy rates and expect to
maintain a prosperous society.

As far as meeting the need for Internet usability, we have yet to
scratch the surface. Very few websites are easy enough to continue
supporting users when the Internet reaches 80% of the population.
To serve 95% of the population (let alone 99%), substantial
advances in usability will be required.

Disregarding political and moral issues, the broadening user base
poses a very simple business question: What percentage of your
prospects will you turn away because they are not smart enough to
use your website? Maybe 10% of your potential customers? Or
perhaps 20%? That's a lot of dollars lost to an elitist attitude.

And, even if you accept a 20% loss in customers because your site
is too difficult, you still need a site easy enough for 80% of the
population to use. Considering that most sites are too difficult for the
50% of the population that is currently online, companies will have
to substantially improve their usability to willingly abandon that
"acceptable" 20%.