SCN: IM

Steve steve at advocate.net
Tue Jan 16 08:24:20 PST 2001

x-no-archive: yes

=========================

Why the FCC Failed Us by Giving AOL a Free Pass

(Patrick Houston, ZDNet AnchorDesk)---Let me begin this debate by
posing a hypothetical situation: You pick up the phone and dial long-
distance -- only to encounter a fast busy signal. You try and try
again. Finally, frustrated, you call the operator and ask, "What's
wrong?"

"Sorry," the operator replies. "But our service no longer works with
any other carrier. You're only able to dial the customers on this
system."

Be honest now. What would you do? Let me guess. You'd rail and
curse. You'd cancel the service right then and there. You'd phone
your state's public utility commission, your Congressional
representative and, no doubt, the Federal Communications
Commission.

So let me ask you this: What aren't you similarly up in arms about
the FCC's failure to allow you to use the instant messaging service
of your choice to communicate to your family, friends or associates
who happen to be using an instant messaging service of their
choice?

This is precisely the situation we have right now. The reason for it is
clear and concrete: AOL, which dominates the market with some 148
million registered IM users, steadfastly refuses to allow other
services to interoperate with its own.

It doesn't have to be this way. Or it didn't. The FCC had the
opportunity to rectify this situation as part of process toward
granting AOL approval to consummate its $106 billion merger with
Time Warner. But it didn't. Instead it gave its thumb's up to the
mega-deal last Friday in a quid pro quo that's all quid and no quo.

Yes, it mandated interoperability - sort of. Under the FCC ruling AOL
will indeed be required to open its service -- when, that is, the time
comes for AOL to launch "advanced, IM-based high-speed services,"
a broadband-based form of IM that will make for a form of video-
conferencing. The catch, however, is that AOL, by its own admission,
has no plans for any such service.

And I take scant comfort from the FCC's reasoning that it didn't want
to take away AOL's "earned monopoly" in instant messaging. But
that logic, the government had no right either to revoke the
monopoly that AT&T "earned" in telecommunications. Please,
someone -- anyone -- tell me the difference.

For my part, I want instant messaging to work -- period -- without
consideration to the software or service provider. And I take this
stand for two reasons:

Practicality. For me -- and a growing legion of users -- instant
messaging isn't just another form of "chat." I use IM to communicate
with colleagues every day whether they're down a floor or Down
Under. In the swift-moving world of my work, one in which geography
and distance have little meaning, IM has become an essential form
of business communications, second only to e-mail.

Principle. I would have sided with the FCC if AOL had "earned"
instant messaging as its sole monopoly, and one upon which its
entire fortune rested. But nothing could be further from the truth. As I
pointed out in my Monday column, AOL Time Warner is a financial
behemoth. It owns an unsurpassed wealth of content in the
Information Age. And it holds, in the form of its cable and online
assets, the golden geese to distribution.

If this doesn't represent a frightening concentration of wealth and
power that shouldn't be checked in more than a meager way, then
what does? So I concur with Jupiter Media Metrix analyst Seamus
McAteer when he told reporters Paul Festa and Stefanie Olsen that
the FCC "gifted" AOL the IM market. The FCC caved. And we'll regret
the day that it did.

Copyright 2001 ZD Inc.