SCN: Copy protection

Steve steve at advocate.net
Thu Jan 18 08:58:59 PST 2001

x-no-archive: yes

========================

by David Coursey, Executive Editor, ZDNet AnchorDesk

To: Steve Ballmer, President/CEO, Microsoft

Re: Stupid Copy Protection Schemes

Let me make sure I understand this: Now that Microsoft has beaten
back all the competition -- using what a U.S. District Court judge
says are monopoly tactics -- the company is pressing ahead with an
anti-piracy scheme aimed at casual copying? Like people buying a
new PC for their home and wanting to run Office on it?

Brace yourself, Steve. People are already kicking up. And if there
hasn't been a bigger outcry it's only because most people haven't
run into your new Product Activation technology, currently only
shipping on the current retail release of Office2000 (SR-1) in the
United States and six other countries.

But as more programs -- and your next-generation "Whistler"
operating system -- get copy protection, the screaming will rapidly
take on the tenor of the Napster users vs. the recording industry
fight (i.e. "Aren't you pigs rich enough already?").

Especially when Microsoft revenue goes through the roof, as I would
expect it to do if even a moderate percentage of pirated software
goes legit. Of course, the real criminals will find a way around this --
they always seem to -- meaning it's the little guys who will bear the
brunt of your anti-piracy campaign.

Don't get me wrong. People should pay for software and if Microsoft
didn't charge a small fortune for a new copy of Office we might not
be having this discussion. Individuals, companies and countries
that are illegally copying software -- for profit -- should be stopped.

But with the Office Standard Edition selling for $450, I wonder how
many families will purchase one to go with their third PC? My
understanding is that since your license only allows two
installations -- intended for a single owner's PC and laptop -- that
additional installations require purchase of a new copy of the
software.

So while I fully support Microsoft's right to copy protect, I think wide-
scale copy protection looks better on paper than it will in the
marketplace. Never mind the bellyaching from users like me.
Doesn't this play right into the government's argument that
Microsoft needs to be broken up?

People have been making copies of Microsoft Office for as long as
the product suite has existed. These illegal copies -- in homes,
offices, and on portables -- doubtless make up a significant part of
the installed base. But the equation has worked to Microsoft's
advantage.

They may also have been responsible for making Office the
standard it has become.

Let me explain: If Microsoft had instituted copy protection before
WordPerfect and Lotus were effectively eliminated from the
marketplace, your penetration would have been limited or a price
war would have ensued. My bet is MS Office would still have
emerged on top, but with a significantly smaller share of the
marketplace. And you'd still have Lotus and WordPerfect to factor
into your plans.

Having earned your market dominance atop illegal copies, and then
having used that position to quash competitors, it strikes me as a
tad disingenuous for Microsoft to bring on copy protection at such a
late date.

The only way you will get away with this is by drastically lowering
prices. It is easy to justify the illegal copies of Office that exist today
-- especially in homes -- because the program is so expensive. If
Office cost $99-a-copy people would feel a lot better about paying
up. At that price a yearly subscription with better customer support
options probably becomes viable.

BUT IF YOU leave the price alone and just make it impossible for
people to make copies they feel they need, people will perceive you
as even more of a "bad guy" company than they already do. It will
also give competitors like WordPerfect, Lotus, and Sun's StarOffice
freeware a real lift.

Since you will also copy protect operating systems, and given my
almost universally bad experience upgrading from the old OS to the
next-big-thing, I'd imagine customers will just learn to live with the
OS they have. Likewise the application upgrades, which will have to
meet an even tougher standard if people really have to pay for all
the copies they need.

Is Microsoft really ready to stagnate the market in exchange for
copy protection?

Logic tells me this is just the first stage in a plan that's hatching in
Redmond. Is this supposed to make us happy software subscribers
once your Microsoft.Net software-as-a-service program becomes
real?

Does this mean Microsoft is giving up on upgrade revenue because
it's too hard to create upgrades people will really pay for? Is this
some sort of positioning for a post-break-up Microsoft?

Anyway, I'd love to hear from you on this. I'm sure AnchorDesk
readers would like an explanation, too. By the way, feel free to make
as many copies of this as you wish to pass around.

Copyright 2001 ZD Inc.