SCN: Please think of *somebody* -- Thanks!!!

Doug Schuler douglas
Mon Jan 29 13:08:53 PST 2001

Please excuse this mailing which may not be directly relevant to
your interests.   If not you, who?  Please pass on...

-- Doug

I'm helping The Evergreen State College find some extraordinary people
to teach in what I consider to be an exciting environment.  (Yes I am a
booster -- unabashed!)

YOU CAN HELP EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT PERSONALLY INTERESTED!  Thanks!!

Please send this note on to any person (or e-list) whom you think might
be interested.  I know that there are people out there who would be
perfect for these positions and you might be able to help find them.
The pay -- I'll be the first to admit -- is less than jobs in the
software industry but the teaching jobs are REWARDING and FUN.
Really!  (Also please excuse the caps -- the keys seem to be stickingI
)

If you think that YOU might be interested please call or e-mail.

Also please check the Evergreen web site -- http://www.evergreen.edu.
Evergreen is a public, non-traditional liberal arts college in Olympia,
Washington, south of Seattle, that is consistently is named by US News
and World Report as the best public, liberal arts college in the west.
Evergreen emphasizes intensive interdisciplinary study and
collaborative team teaching.

There is a lot of room to be creative!

(further information is available at
http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring or from me, Doug Schuler, at
dschuler at evergreen.edu)

-------------------------------------

REGULAR HALF TIME POSITIONS IN PART-TIME STUDIES

This is a for a person who will be a regular faculty member but work
half-time (evenings and weekends).  They will receive 100% health
insurance.

One Half-time Position in software engineering / computer science in
Part-Time Studies.  We seek a software engineer, developer, or computer
scientist to teach the systematic development of software in half-time
interdisciplinary programs. Ability to teach all aspects of software
development -- including requirements, specification, analysis, design
(including rapid prototyping), programming, testing, communication and
documentation is required. Candidates able to teach participatory
design techniques are highly desirable.  Knowledge about the history
and social context of computing and the theoretical issues related to
software engineering is highly desirable. Candidates must be able to
teach databases, programming languages, and operating systems.
Candidates must be able to teach and design half-time (8 credit)
interdisciplinary offerings for a wide population of undergraduate
part-time students in the evenings and/or on weekends.

VISITING FACULTY POSITIONS

We are looking for a person who can teach Foundations of Computing for
the academic year 2001-2002.  This position is half-time (weekends and
evenings).  If you are willing to teach for one or two quarters of this
sequence we still would like to hear from you.

One Full-time Position in computer science for the academic year
2001-02 to co-teach the Student Originated Software program.  SOS is a
full-time (16 credit) program that focuses on the development of
software for a client in the "real world."  The candidate should be a
practitioner who has had experience writing applications beyond
academia.  A Ph.D. OR at least 5 years experience as a programmer and
system developer is required.  Someone who has experience designing and
producing systems written in object-oriented languages is preferred.  A
liberal arts background in addition to technical skills is preferred.

APPLICATION PROCEDURES -- the not so fine print

To apply for visiting or adjunct positions, send the following
materials:

*   curriculum vitae, chronologically ordered
*   letter of application that highlights qualifications for
    the position
*   evaluations by students (if available)

To apply for the half-time regular position, please contact the Faculty
Hiring Coordinator as we will need additional materials.

Please indicate clearly, which position you are applying for.
Finalists may be asked to submit additional materials.  Address
application and inquiries to Faculty Hiring Coordinator, The Evergreen
State College, L-2211, Olympia, WA  98505, call (360) 866-6000, ext.
6861 (voice) or TDD line at (360) 866-6834, or email blodgetd@
evergreen.edu.

Review of completed applications has begun and will continue until
finalists are selected.  The College reserves the right to extend
searches or not offer positions advertised.  All position offers are
contingent on funding.  Persons with disabilities can receive
accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Hiring
Coordinator.

Committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, TESC is working
to build a diverse, broadly-trained faculty and particularly encourages
applications from candidates whose race, national origin, sex, age,
religion, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or
physical disability will contribute to our diversity.