SCN: Dvorak

Doug Schuler douglas at scn.org
Tue Jul 3 09:06:23 PDT 2001

As I've mentioned before this is a very intriguing idea.  Without
ways to *catalog* pages and other Internet resources we are all
at the mercy of the [commercial] search engines.

-- Doug

...Adopt a self-cataloging system

All informational Web sites should be self-cataloging. You should be
able to browse by subject the same way you can browse a library
bookshelf. Current search engine technology does not allow this,
despite the bogus and vague "More Pages Like This" link, which
never works anyway. One key to making this work would be to allow
one tag per site. You decide what your site is about and code it
appropriately for cataloging. Multiple tags would not be allowed,
thus preventing sites from being able to sucker someone into
visiting.