SCN: Re: Coalition Protests Needed Re:Fwd:an appeal from the activists fighting in Genoa] (fwd)

Scot Harkins on scn.org scoth at scn.org
Sun Jul 22 19:48:04 PDT 2001

I think it's a perfectly legitimate.  This is one of SCN's common meeting
points.

NBC did cover the raid on their evening news, including interviews of a few
of the senior activists from the organizations.  They also showed some of
the "weapons" they recovered.  Sledge hammers (one of these buildings if
being remodeled, right?), nails (see previous), oh, and knives, like Swiss
Army Knives (with their blades opened to show how dangerous they are!!!) and
steak knives.  God forbid the same police raid, oh, say, a RESTAURANT where
they might recover such dangerous weapons as meat cleavers and 16-inch
knives.  Maybe grandma's house, where they might find all sorts of sharp
implements.

I may not be fully settled on the issues of globalization and the G8, but I
certainly don't abide this kind of senseless revenge raid.  Fighting violent
anarchists, yes, but just walking in and beating people, and then torturing
them further...  Well, welcome to the real world, I guess, since it's a rare
country that actually respects the rights of detainees.

sh

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
Greenbank, WA         | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington