SCN: Re: Re: Sircam

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Thu Jul 26 22:00:25 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, David Barts wrote:

> I'm actually pleased with the users where I work.  They've apparently
> taken all the "don't open strange or unexpected attachments" lectures
> to heart; most of the reports from them have been of the "I deleted
> this attachment because I thought it was a virus" or "is this a virus?
> I'm not going to open it unless you say it's OK?" sort.

Wow! I had begun to think that "intelligent user" was an oxymoron. I work
in a lab full of highly trained post-doctoral fellows in biochemistry.
They have to be constantly reminded not to open attachments to strange
emails from faraway places. Of course these are also the people who keep
finding new and creative ways to foul up networked printers, "lose"
desktop icons, revise default settings in Word and Excel, etc. And they
are also the ones who wonder why I won't let them download the latest
version Internet Express Napster XP just because it would be cool to have
on the machine.

Ken A.