SCN: China and democracy

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 18:24:50 PDT 2001

I wanted to comment about my comments on China and democracy, that China isn't
a democratic country, doesn't have a democratic culture, and that there are
really now laws, just the whims of politicians. And the country is run by those
who are well-connected.

With that, my comments: America is a country that celebrates democratic
movements in other countries (WTO?), because of romantic notions of democracy.

Our country is a politically dull place, even with Bush in the White House. We
are bored. We turn on our TV's and get excited about Chinese democracy. "They
will be just like us" we think.

Did I also mention that China is basically a collection of very independent
states? Warlord-ism hasn't ended with the old days. China has to do all it can
do to keep that country together. With that "democratic" movement there years
ago (I was in Korea when it was going on), China was in a crisis of going to
war with itself. It was really, really, really close. And that would have been
very, very, very bad.

Patrick