SCN: EPIC

Steve steve at advocate.net
Fri Mar 2 07:24:07 PST 2001

x-no-archive: yes

========================

(Carl S. Kaplan, NY Times)---When the Electronic Privacy Information
Center, an advocacy group based in Washington that loudly
campaigns for Internet privacy and civil liberties, announced it had
received a $1 million gift a few weeks ago, the money didn't come
from a large corporation or private foundation. It came from
someone who usually receives grants -- a law school professor.

But then again, Pamela Samuelson is not just any professor. A
leading cyberlaw expert and intellectual property scholar at the
University of California at Berkeley, she is using her personal
wealth to promote the public interest in the Internet legal battles now
being waged in courts, legislatures and administrative agencies
across the country.

Earlier this year the Samuelson Law, Technology and Public Policy
clinic opened at UC Berkeley's School of Law (Boalt Hall). The
program, which has a full-time director, is one of the first in the
country to allow law students to work on key matters in Internet
arena. Students can file friend-of-the-court briefs in important cases,
draft model legislation and provide legal assistance to individuals
filing lawsuits against corporations and government agencies.

To fund the clinic, Samuelson and her husband, Robert Glushko, an
engineer at Commerce One, an e-commerce services and software
provider, donated $2 million. In addition, Mitchell Kapor, founder of
Lotus Development Corp., kicked in $300,000, as did the New York-
based Markle Foundation, headed by Zoe Baird, a Boalt Hall alum.

The idea may be catching on. Stanford Law School started a student
clinic in cyberlaw this year under the direction of Professor
Lawrence Lessig, a leading scholar in the field. Harvard Law School
has operated a similar program since 1998.

At Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), the second link in
Samuelson's public interest plan, the law professor's gift will be
used to set up a paid summer internship program for 8-10 law
students.

"We want there to be places where people who are interested in
high tech public interest law can do it and earn money" during the
summer, as a counter-weight to summer jobs at law firms, said
Samuelson, who has a joint appointment at UC Berkeley's School of
Information Management and Systems as well as in the School of
Law, where she is a co-director of the Berkeley Center for Law and
Technology.

Marc Rotenberg, EPIC's executive director, said he's already
received over 150 applications from students around the country.
This summer's slots are filled, he said, but openings are available
for student externships for next fall.

Meanwhile, Samuelson and her husband are looking to fund other
public interest Internet law clinics at law schools.

"I actually look at this strategically," she said in a wide-ranging
recent telephone interview. "Where is stuff happening and where do
the clinics need to be? A lot of issues arise in the [United States
Court of Appeals for the] Second Circuit, in Manhattan, especially in
the copyright area, and we want to see a clinic there but we don't
have a proposal yet." She added that it would be "great" to establish
a law-school clinic in the Los Angeles area, where many
entertainment corporations are based. She is also looking at funding
a law school-affiliated clinic in the Washington, D.C. area, she
added.

Why pour millions of dollars into student clinics? Samuelson rattles
off the answers like a lawyer arguing a point. She has a very strong
sense that the public interest is underrepresented in a lot of high-
tech policy debates and lawsuits, she said. "Congress discovered
Silicon Valley a few years ago and Silicon Valley discovered
Congress. When there is a high-tech issue Congress asks, 'What
does Silicon Valley want? Let's find out.' So we need an institutional
structure . . . to promote the public interest."

She also hopes that her efforts will tap into the idealism of many
current law students and offer them a chance to help shape Internet
law. The programs may also have ripple effects, she added. "I hope
that students who are not involved in the clinics hear about them. I
hope they'll say, 'Hey, there really is a public interest out there.
Maybe when we go to work for law firms or companies we should
remember that there is a public interest out there."

Jonathan Zittrain, an Internet law expert at Harvard Law School, said
it's important for students at cyberlaw clinics to take on cases that
would not otherwise reach the courts. "A case gets the wheels of
public policy working," he said. "You get a verdict and that can
inspire legislative change. Even if you lose the battle, a legal
controversy can invite the public eye. There's nothing like a good
case to focus attention on an issue. It's concrete, you've got a story,
alleged harm and a resolution."

Though she is not well known to the public, Samuelson is a high-
profile scholar in the world of Internet law. A recurring theme in
many of her legal writings has been an attack on the over-protection
of intellectual property in the digital age by corporations and a
defense of the individual consumer's right to make private,
noncommercial uses of information. In one speech she gave at an
academic conference in 1998, for example, she said she was
engaged in a long-term intellectual project of "designing a copyright
policy for an information society in which it would be good to live
[in]." But in the interview she said that is not the full story.

"Some people perceive me as advocating a public interest or little-
guy perspective, but that is not how I perceive myself," she said. "A
lot of the work I've been doing is work I felt needed to be done
because the establishment interests are very well represented and
pretty good at getting their message out. If I've started to talk about
the wider public interest, and about imposing some limits on high-
tech projectionist initiatives that Hollywood, Microsoft or other big
companies might want . . . I've ended up doing it not because my
heart is there specifically but to keep a dialog going and to strike a
balance."

Samuelson, 52, grew up in Washington State and graduated from
the University of Hawaii. After graduating from Yale Law School in
1976, she practiced commercial law for four years at Willkie Farr &
Gallagher, a New York law firm, then departed to become a law
professor at the University of Pittsburgh. She took up her duties at
UC Berkeley in 1996 and, in 1997, she was named a "genius" fellow
of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

Reflecting on her decision to leave law-firm life early in her career,
she recalled that she had never aspired to be a law professor. "But
what I discovered at Willkie Farr," she said, "is that the problems
didn't cease to be interesting when the case settled. It seemed like
law teaching might be a way to investigate as fully as I thought
appropriate some interesting issues that the law presented."

Samuelson met her husband in 1987, when he was affiliated with
Carnegie Mellon, and the pair married a year later. They hit the
jackpot in 1999 following the initial public offering of stock in
Commerce One. Glushko co-founded a Silicon Valley start-up that
was later acquired by Commerce One.

Samuelson declined to characterize the extent of her assets, but
she did acknowledge that she and her husband have given away a
higher proportion of their resources than do most people in their
circumstances. In other recent gifts, she and her husband have
donated $1 million to fund graduate student fellowships at UC
Berkeley's School of Information Management and Systems. They
also donated a similar amount to the University of Washington, in
the name of Samuelson's grandmother, to fund student fellowships
for women interested in studying science and technology.

Some people in Samuelson's position might chuck it all and retire to
Italy. "That has crossed my mind," she said. But then she stopped
laughing: "I want to leave a positive legacy, something more than
'She wrote all these law review articles.'"

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company