SCN: FBI

Steve steve at advocate.net
Thu May 3 07:20:11 PDT 2001

x-no-archive: yes

=============================

Is the FBI tracking online protesters?

(Amy Standen, Salon.com)---On April 21, protesters from across the
U.S. and Canada were gathering in Quebec to protest the Free Trade
Area of the Americas summit meeting. While police amassed tear
gas and riot gear, protesters hatched plans to take down a two and a
half mile-long fence erected to keep them out of sight and sound
during the meeting.

At the same time, thousands of miles away in Seattle, activities at
the Independent Media Center were winding down after a long day of
coordinating a joint protest in Blaine, Wash. Only around three
people were left in the office at 7 p.m. when a knock came at the
door.

"FBI agents came in and flashed their badges," recalls Devin
Theriot-Orr, an IMC volunteer and legal team co-coordinator. "They
wanted to ask us some questions. You don't get visits from the FBI
every day, so people were definitely pretty freaked out."

The FBI agents wanted to see "all user connection logs" from the
IMC's Web site from a period between April 20 and 21. Within that
time, the agents charged, someone had posted secret, stolen
documents -- one of which was said to contain details of President
Bush's travel itinerary in Canada -- on the IMC's News Wire bulletin
boards.

The sealed demand to turn over the logs also contained a gag order:
If news of the FBI demand made it out of the IMC office, the
organization faced being held in contempt of court. Somehow, the
entirely volunteer-run organization, with dozens of offices around
the world and a busy network of online message sites, would have
to keep the secret.

IMC volunteers searched the site for the offending documents in
vain. "We were unable to find anything that met their description,"
says Devin. "What they told us was false -- that it had to do with
travel documents for the president." What the IMC volunteers did
find were two documents, purportedly stolen from a Quebec police
car, that contained instructions given to Quebec police on how to
deal with different protest scenarios, and crib sheets that described
which protest groups were expected to be in action in Quebec and
how they might be identified. One excerpt reads:

A first group of demonstrators may take Laurier Boulevard and
Grande Allee street, while others may take Rene Levesque
boulevard. The demonstrators will split into groups of 20 or 30
people in order to carry out different actions depending on the
choice of their affinity groups. The signal to disperse will be
releasing balloons into the air. The two groups may meet at
Salaberry Street (or it could be another street) to continue via Rene
Levesque towards the Grand Théatre.

Despite IMC efforts to keep the order a secret, word got out and soon
enough IMC visitors were posting anxious messages on the
message boards, calling the FBI order a "raid" and worrying that the
media organization had been "taken over" by Secret Service agents.
IMC's attempts to remove these posts had the adverse effect, as a
report released by the organization later conceded, of "seemingly
confirming the worst suspicions of independent journalists who
posted brief articles announcing or speculating about mysterious
and terrible things going on at the Seattle IMC, then finding their
posts removed from view minutes later."

Barred by the gag order from putting rumors to rest, IMC volunteers
had no choice but to wait it out. Six days later, on April 27, the gag
order was lifted. Now IMC and its attorneys are preparing to fight.

"The IMC is making plans to challenge the subpoena," says Lee
Tien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "Now that the gag is lifted,
we can go in and say the subpoena is invalid or unjustified, or all
sorts of things."

But oddly, points out Theriot-Orr, there has been no request by the
FBI to remove the documents in question, which are still posted on
the IMC site. "[The FBI agents] came down Saturday night when the
information, technically, could still have been relevant. But they
never asked us to remove it." Now that the protests are over, the
information isn't as subversive as it seemed a week ago. At the IMC,
the general feeling is that the FBI's order was intended mainly to
intimidate volunteers and posters on the Independent Media sites.

"I don't think it was about the stuff that was posted," says Theriot-
Orr. "I'm certain they've been monitoring us for some time; we've
been on their radar for a while, in my opinion, and I am very curious
about whether this was taken to discourage association with the
IMC."

If the FBI was trying to intimidate the IMC, the tactic appears to be
working, says Theriot-Orr. "We've had significantly less posts on
our Web site. And I think that's partially because people are
nervous. There's a history of this type of COINTELPRO activity
against activist organizations that stretches back 30, 40 years. It's
nothing new. And we don't really know -- maybe there's a bona fide
investigation -- but it sure seems suspicious."

Calls to Stephen Schroeder, the assistant U.S. attorney who filed the
application for the court order, were not returned.

Whether or not intimidation is at issue in this instance, the IMC case
has broad significance for the future of online media and freedom of
speech, says EFF's Tien. "There's a lot of law about how the First
Amendment protects membership lists of political groups. Freedom
of association, anonymous political speech -- all these different
threads weave together in this case."

Copyright 2001 Salon.com