SCN: hmmm

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Fri May 25 20:36:11 PDT 2001

I agree that all this is largely irrelevant to SCN--our bills are small
enough that we can live off of the altruistic fat of the land.  Which is
why I maintain that the argument that was presented is clearer if more
specifically focused, such as on web search services.

I don't believe that the use of "private, proprietary classification
systems" is relevant here.  The essence of the issue is not whether us
freeloaders can access the data that someone has compiled that effectively
indexes the Web--it's whether there is any data to start with.  Building
those databases requires a heavy investment in computers, Internet access,
and system administration.  If advertisers won't pay those bills, who
will?

It should be noted that, truly, "There Ain't No Free Lunch".  SCN has
"free" Internet access, etc., because we have "sold" various people into
providing it.  Essentially, we sell an idea.  Others sell advertising.  It
appears there is more money to be had selling advertising than ideas.