SCN: [Fwd: [vanguard-disc] The Leonids are coming! The Leonids are coming!]

sharma at blarg.net sharma at blarg.net
Sun Nov 4 15:15:07 PST 2001

This is a forward from another list, complete with permission to re-forward it, so
here goes. I am not sure I will be joining a group for the viewing, but would love to
if I can get it together. I am sorry to anyone who thinks this is not an appropriate
post, but this is the chance of your lifetime to see mega amounts of meteors. So many
of the lists I post to are political and don'tcha think we need a little wonder in
our lives right now?

I have removed the address of the poster as I am reposting this rather widely. If
you think you want to join the group of SF people this was originally posted to,
write me and I will probably put you in touch with them.

This will be seen all over the world, so we can join all the other little human
animals being amazed by the shooting stars....

-sharma

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What are you doing November 18th? Personally I am planning on freezing my
butt off. Wanna come along?

According to the various reports it is looking like this year's Leonid
meteor shower will be the best in since 1966, and maybe the best for the
next 98 years. We are talking truly spectacular meteor viewing folks!
Because of the new moon and other factors some estimates are more than 4000
meteors an hour at the peak. Read more about it on Wired:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,48016,00.html

The 18th is a Sunday and viewing will be best between 4:00 and 6:00 in the
morning. (Yeah, I know, some of you have to work for a living. So call in
sick! Do I have to think of everything?) At meteor viewings I usually spend
the entire night next to a fire, drinking coffee (or whatever) and sleeping
the next day. In the process I have noted that the more people along doing
this, the more fun it is. Note: I can bring a large telescope for anyone who
cares to look through it during the earlier hours.

The only real problem is the weather. If the weather report in Western
Washington is good I would suggest meeting somewhere in a rural area,
perhaps Skagit county, far from the Seattle city lights. Also, by taking it
north the Bellinghamsters can more easily participate. However chances of
clear skies around here during November are not good, so we need a fallback
plan. My suggestion is Eastern WA, probably around Ellensburg (an hour and
half drive from Seattle). Too far to go? No way! Not for the best meteor
viewing of the century!

Anyway, if there is sufficient interest I will arrange for a place to watch
the meteors and find a near-by cheap motel for those who don't want to drive
home afterwards. I will also help to arrange ride sharing and will
co-ordinate food/drinks, firewood and so on. Please let me know right away
if you would like to take part and if you have transportation. I will send
organizing email to interested parties only.

Also note: This is an *official* KampKon function! In fact this will be
KampKon v0.2 (some of you may know that KampKon v0.1 occurred at VikingCon
this year).

Feel free to forward this email to anyone who might be interested.

Jack William Bell
Supreme Khan of the KampKonKrew