SCN: Lesson for anti-war

Malcolm Taran rockybay at scn.org
Sun Oct 7 23:35:55 PDT 2001

(Thread of TuanMD and J Johnson)

--> Is this satire or a hoax?
--> A 700 Club feature?
--> In what medium did the original appear?  References?

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, 13:48:05, TuanMD wrote:
> Anti-War Demonstrators Should Think Twice
>                                   Wednesday, October 03, 2001
> By David Horowitz from FOX News
>
>                            I am a former anti-war activist who helped
> to organize the first campus demonstration against the war in Vietnam
> at the University of California, Berkeley in 1962. I appeal to all
> those young people who participated in "anti-war" demonstrations on
> 150 college campuses this week, to think again and not to join an
> "anti-war" effort against America's coming battle with international
> terrorism.
> [snip]

A most succinct evaluation re. the above is chapter five
in Barbara Tuchman's
_The March of Folly: from Troy to Vietnam_, NY: Knopf, '84
(SPL 909.08 T79M),
as well as providing context with the continuity of the book.
(Tuchman is the author of _The Guns of August_.)

"Ignorance was not a factor in the American endeavor in Vietnam
pursued through five successive presidencies, altough it was to
become an excuse.  Ignorance of country and culture there may
have been, but not ignorance of the contra-indications, even the
barriers, to achieving the objective of American policy.  All the
conditions and reasons precluding a successful outcome were
recognized or foreseen at one time or another during the thirty
years of our involvement.  American intervention was not a
progress sucked step by step into an unsuspected quagmire.  At no
time were policy-makers unaware of the hazards, obstacles and
negative developments.  American intelligence was adequate,
informed observation flowed steadily from the field to the
capital, special investigative missions were repeatedly sent out,
independent reportage to balance professional optimism--when that
prevailed--was never lacking.  The folly consisted not in pursuit
of a goal in ignorance of the obstacles but in persistence in the
pursuit despite accumulating evidence that the goal was
unattainable, and the effect disproportionate to the American
interest and eventually damaging to American society, reputation
and disposable power in the world."  (Tuchman, '84. p.234.)

_The Pentagon Papers_ need only be mentioned.

Great quotes from the Monday evening (10/1)
Washington News Council forum at Town Hall, 8th and Seneca:

"I wish they would just get this war going so I can plan my Thanksgiving
vacation."
 -Kim Murphy, Northwest Bureau Chief, LA Times

"Anyone who criticizes U.S. policy at this point is an irrelevant
intellectual and frankly, profane."
-Lt. Gen. James Hill, Commanding General, I Corp and Fort Lewis, U.S. Army

TuanMD, Thank you for providing a ref. link for your post

Subject: SCN: What America can expect in a war against terrorists.

Dr. Tony Kern, a former USAF Lieutenant Colonel, authored the
following letter about what America can expect in a war
against terrorists.
[snip]
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/tonykern.htm
[snip]