SCN: Lesson for anti-war / Horowitz

Joe Mabel jmabel at speakeasy.org
Mon Oct 8 00:38:33 PDT 2001

For what it's worth, yes, David Horowitz was approximately "as important in the
left as he says he was." He was founder and editor of Ramparts magazine, which
for was the most prestigious magazine of the New Left. Because it was a glossy,
it reached a lot of people who were disinclined to read obviously "underground"
papers.

Horowitz made a disastrous recommendation to Betty van Patter to keep books for
the Black Panthers in the days when the grup had become so corrupt that Bobby
Seale had quit, calling for the Panthers to shut down. Van Patter ended up dead.

It is not clear how much Horowitz blames himself for Van Patter's death, but it
is clear that he reacted to this by a complete reversal of his political
position over then next few years. By the time Reagan was running for President
in 1980, Horowitz was firmly in the Reagan camp.

Joe Mabel