SCN: What America can expect in a war against terrorists.

sharma at blarg.net sharma at blarg.net
Mon Oct 8 12:17:15 PDT 2001

I think that this is up there with the
"bra burning" that we uppity women were
supposed to be doing at that same time.
It probably did happen a few times but
the press made it sound like a daily
ritual.

I have heard of a few incidents when
military guys were treated badly, but by
far the majority of leftists I knew
considered military guys to be in the
same fix all of us were in, sucked into
an insane war and etc, and they had been
drafted to fight it! I personally worked
with groups at Ft. Lewis who were
military and who were antiwar.

One of the things I think is funny is
how the right is always calling the left
rude and aggressive, and now, since they
have Bush in the whitehouse, how proud
they are that "civility has been
restored to government". They have
neglected to notice that they were the
ones acting like vicious attack dogs all
during the Clinton years and since they
are no longer on "kill" mode, things
have calmed down.

The right always sees things in stark
black and white, i.e. if they are not in
charge of everything the left must be.
The idea of working in a coalition they
are not totally in charge of is very
uncomfortable to them, and they react by
accusing the left of trying to run
everything. Most I have argued with are
literal thinkers and are enraged by the
idea that most of life comes in shades