SCN: Portal or Destination

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 19:49:15 PDT 2001

The question is: Do we want to make SCN a portal or a destination, or
a little of both.

If we want to make it a portal, then why are we wasting so much time
and energy? Any moron can get a Geocities page and put a ton of local
links on it and write a piece here and there.

Do we want to be morons? No, we are better than that. We want people
to come to SCN for the community. We want SCN to come to SCN for SCN.

We want them to keep them coming. We want them to keep coming back.
We want their friends and family to come to SCN. And, of course, more
people means more donations and more servers and more services. And
more volunteers. And more chaos and arguing, of course - that's a
given, a requirement :^)

And how do we keep them coming back? Why should they come back? Do
they even have a reason to come to SCN itself, besides the wonderful
"What's New" page (which is the best web page that SCN has)?

We need to add services and original content. We need to allow people
to give feedback that does not go into a blackhole. We want people to
post their complaints, their feelings, their thoughts on our site for
them and everyone else to see. For lack of a better word, we need to
allow people to have mail and interactivity.

If you are like me, you don't care too much about a site that has all
the information going one way. That is why I want SCN to be the Yahoo
of the Seattle community area.

Yahoo used to be just a portal to be in the beginning. Now I don't
even think of it as a portal as it has become a destination for me.
That is what I feel we need to become.

I want to see all local sites in our shadow. When people think of
Seattle's community online they should think "SCN."

I'm not asking for anyone's support. I'm sharing what vision I have.
SCN has a lot of great things today and a lot of great volunteers.
But we can build on it and make it much greater.

Patrick

=====
Patrick Fisher
Webmaster at scn.org
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"