SCN: Portal or Destination

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 16:23:31 PDT 2001

Doug,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

We should have a link to our principles. I didn't even know about
this page. We need to define to others what we are about. Any site
should do that and we in particular.

I will put the link up tonight.

As for the other items, those are harder to define at the moment.
They involve levels of involvement and a bunch of other actions and I
don't know how we go about that at this moment.

Thank you for the pointer about our site. We should mention that as
well on the homepage as a featured site of the week. Maybe digital
community should be a part of SCN's mission. Again, I don't want to
get into that topic at this moment, but it is something to discuss at
another time.

Please don't get me wrong: I find it all fascinating and I would like
to talk to you at another time about this. Maybe we can have a coffee
round table somewhere with a bunch of other online community nuts.

Thanks,
Patrick

--- Doug Schuler <douglas at scn.org> wrote:

> [...]
> *
>    *                              But by whom and to what ends?
> *

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, patrick wrote:
>
> > The question is: Do we want to make SCN a portal or a
> destination, or
> > a little of both.
> >
> > If we want to make it a portal, then why are we wasting so much
> time
> > and energy? Any moron can get a Geocities page and put a ton of
> local
> > links on it and write a piece here and there.
> >
> > Do we want to be morons? No, we are better than that. We want
> people
> > to come to SCN for the community. We want SCN to come to SCN for
> SCN.
> >

> > We want them to keep them coming. We want them to keep coming
> back.
> > We want their friends and family to come to SCN. And, of course,
> more
> > people means more donations and more servers and more services.
> And
> > more volunteers. And more chaos and arguing, of course - that's a
> > given, a requirement :^)
> >
> > And how do we keep them coming back? Why should they come back?
> Do
> > they even have a reason to come to SCN itself, besides the
> wonderful
> > "What's New" page (which is the best web page that SCN has)?
> >
> > We need to add services and original content. We need to allow
> people
> > to give feedback that does not go into a blackhole. We want
> people to
> > post their complaints, their feelings, their thoughts on our site
> for
> > them and everyone else to see. For lack of a better word, we need
> > allow people to have mail and interactivity.
> >
> > If you are like me, you don't care too much about a site that has
> all
> > the information going one way. That is why I want SCN to be the
> Yahoo
> > of the Seattle community area.
> >
> > Yahoo used to be just a portal to be in the beginning. Now I
> don't
> > even think of it as a portal as it has become a destination for
> me.
> > That is what I feel we need to become.
> >
> > I want to see all local sites in our shadow. When people think of
> > Seattle's community online they should think "SCN."
> >
> > I'm not asking for anyone's support. I'm sharing what vision I
> have.
> > SCN has a lot of great things today and a lot of great
> volunteers.
> > But we can build on it and make it much greater.
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> > =====
> > Patrick Fisher
> > Webmaster at scn.org
> > Seattle Community Network
> > http://www.scn.org
> > "Powering our communities with technology"

=====
Patrick Fisher
Webmaster at scn.org
Seattle Community Network