SCN: Re: Privacy

emailer1 emailer1 at netzero.net
Fri Oct 26 17:59:37 PDT 2001

This points to a problem with the lack of a formal declaration of war as the
basis for the current attacks on Afghanistan.  If there were a declaration
of war, certain restrictive measures could be implemented TEMPORARILY during
the "war."  However, by not declaring war, the restrictions have to be
implemented by the regular legislative process.  While there is a four-year
renewal on some of the elements of the new restrictive legislation, some
elements will endure.

I personally doubt that this more enduring method of restricting our more
open way of life was part of the reason that there was no declaration of
war, but it is a troublesome side-effect of Congress failing to act
responsibly.  It is a good reason for citizens to oppose the war hysteria.