SCN: Get-on-with-it Year

alboss at home.com alboss at home.com
Wed Sep 5 12:36:53 PDT 2001

What is this, "The Little Engine That Could, But Just Didn't Feel Like It"?

We seem to have a lot of opinions on how to make sure a community network fails. Apparently, most of us agree that the problem is just about everybody else. This is amusing but not very productive (see below). So, can we start a thread upon which we can find some _common ground_ on what users actually want that we actually can and are willing to provide?

SCN list traffic lately reminds me of Tom Leher's song, "National Brotherhood Week", which contains (politically incorrect) lyrics such as:

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

and

But during National Brotherhood Week,
National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clark are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

(if you're not sufficiently horrified, the complete lyrics are at http://www.dp9.com/cool/hilary/textpoly.htm)

With apologies to Mr. Leher (and personalities named below), we have:

Oh, Operations hates the Service folks,
And the Editors hate the WebAdmin,
And the Users hate the System,
And everybody hates the Board.

But during SCN Get-on-with-it Year,
SCN Get-on-with-it Year,
JJ, Rich and Mr. Clark are dancing rear to rear.
It's fun to critisize
The people you despise
As long as you don't let 'em FTP.

Whew, am I glad I got that out of my system!

Al

(Special apologies to JJ, Rich, and Rod, who are either really good sports or are busy either deleting all my accounts, calling attorneys, or reformmatiing all my directories right about now.)