SCN: [Fwd: FC: Website for attack survivors created; mailing list for DC news]

sharma sharma at blarg.net
Wed Sep 12 03:58:15 PDT 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FC: Website for attack survivors created;
mailing list for DC news
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:01:50 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
To: politech at politechbot.com
CC: andrews at ltinet.net

********

From: "Andrew Staples" <andrews at ltinet.net>
Subject: Off topic: check in for WTC, Pentagon
survivors
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:18:47 -0700

  A web site has been set up where survivors of
today's terrorist
  activities can post word a brief word that they
are okay:

  http://www.shunn.net/okay/

If you care to publicize this, it may save some
people some heartache.

********

From: Andy Carvin <acarvin at benton.org>
To: "'Declan McCullagh '" <declan at well.com>
Subject: listserv set up to discuss today's attack
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:43:41 -0400

Hi Declan.. I just wanted to let you know I've set
up a listserv for people
who want to discuss today's tragic events...

Hope you are well,
Andy Carvin
Benton Foundation
acarvin at benton.org

   I just wanted to give a quick report from
downtown DC. Most of us at the
   Benton Foundation  evacuated our building,
which is at 18th and K street,
   three or four blocks from the white house. We
received word of the attacks

   on the World Trade center building around 9am,
having to rely on portable
   radios since our Internet connection froze as
people tried to find more
   information. The majority of Benton staff were
out of the building by
10am.

   The streets are filled with people briskly
walking away from downtown,
   trying to get their cell phones to work. It's
not a panic situation by any

   means - just lots of people determined to get
the hell out of there. Some
   people are clearly shaken, and are being
comforted by friends and
strangers
   alike. The streets are completely jammed with
cars as people try to get
out
   of the city. Since lots of us at our office
usually take the metro to work

   (which has been shut down, along with all other
commuter trains), those of

   us who lived within walking distance offered to
bring home other people
who
   would be stranded downtown.

   We're now back at my Dupont Circle apartment,
two miles due north of the
   Pentagon. We can't see smoke from our balcony,
which is surprising
   considering the extent of the damage we've seen
on TV so far.

   I've set up a listserv, sept11info, for people
wanting to talk about
today's
   attack. You can join the list by going to this
address:

   or by sending an email to
sept11info-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.

   Please feel free to pass on this information.

   I will do my best to report on any news here in
DC, but let us all hope
and
   pray that the worst is over now. Our thoughts
and prayers are with
everyone
   who's being affected by this insanity....

   Andy Carvin
   Benton Foundation
   acarvin at benton.org

********