SCN: In the midst of tragedy, please help keep the peace

Scot Harkins on scn.org scoth at scn.org
Wed Sep 12 16:12:52 PDT 2001

Howdy,

Since yesterday I have made a friend in Egypt.  He's of Palestinian descent,
and it's been good to exchange opinions with him about the world today (in
the last 24 hours and before that).  I promised him to help Moslems here in
the US in the aftermath of our tragedies.

Right now, in our country, there is so much anger about what has happened.
I'm angry, too, of course.  I know, however, that most people, of all
religions and ethnic backgrounds, are peaceful and caring people.

There are those among us, however, who are now directing their anger and
their hatred at people of Arab descent or who are practicing Moslems.
Threatening phone calls and now even attacks on mosques are taking place,
yet little has been said by anyone asking Americans to keep their heads.

Most of us don't need such a reminder, but there are a few who do.  They
need to be told, in no uncertain terms, that this is wrong.  Very qualified,
very professional, very dedicated people around the country and around the
world are working to find out who was behind this attack.  We must let them
do their jobs, and we must let all American citizens and residents carry on
with their lives after this experience.

Remember that the people who died yesterday were from many religions (and
some from no religion at all).  Let us NOT dishonor their memories by
pointing our anger at innocent people who fit some mold.

Respectfully,
Scot Harkins

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
Greenbank, WA         | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington