SCN: Re: A Message from the Global South by Saskia Sassen

Philip Machanick philip at cs.wits.ac.za
Thu Sep 13 22:44:19 PDT 2001

Interesting perspective.

The general problem as I see it is one of placing a different
value on human lives according to your perspective. Until we
can remove this pernicious attitude from our thinking, it
will be impossible to address problems like poverty, the
Middle East, Northern Ireland -- and the attitude that it's
OK to punish a nation's decision-makers by killing thousands
of people to make a political statement

Philip Machanick