SCN: Re: WEB: Re: RE: hate groups

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Fri Sep 14 17:47:43 PDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, patrick wrote:

> I don't think banning or censoring thought does much good. In fact,
> it may incense people who are attracted to such banned thought or
> actions.

And the flip side of the coin is that by allowing a group to publish its
views to the world on a web page, if those views are truly repugnant, they
will succeed in repelling the majority of viewers. Public exposure, in
their own words, is probably the best insurance in a democracy against
truly crackpot views.

Ken Applegate

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!