SCN: Re: SCN's web front page

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sun Sep 16 13:21:08 PDT 2001

Randy Groves wrote:
> 'rwrap' is NOT required.  It was suggested as a tool, to provide backup in
> case of errors - NOT required.
>
> There have been NO restrictions imposed, either programmatically nor by
> policy that removes the ability to edit files with vi, pico, etc.

Randy,

   That is not true, on both counts. The home page has total
no-write permissions for the members of the topics group, who if
your ststement were true would have write access to edit it with
pico or other text editors. But they do NOT have that access.
See for yourself:

4 -r-xr-xr-x  1 guests   topics       3728 Aug 21 13:12 index.html*

   The ONLY way that the home page can be updated is by using
rwrap. You are misleading everyone when you say this is
optional.

   It is also now required by policy to use rwrap. I asked the
acting Executive Director on Thursday, "Will you remove rwrap so
that Patrick can update the home page?" The answer was "no."

   Because Patrick couldn't FTP the home page file last week
(because of the no-write permissions that block FTP), he asked
me for help with rwrap, which I tried to give him based on my
recollection of an earlier version of rwrap, but it wasn't
enough to get the page up. The page still isn't up. And this is
the actual, truthful reason. That is the answer to the question
that the three volunteers - Irene, Lee and Elaine - asked on
this list.

   Communicating with ourselves, and with all the volunteers, is
vitally important, and it can't be left to the PR efforts of
only a few people in top positions. You and I both were confused
about this, because of the lack of forthright communications
with volunteers about the situation. Content is being sacrificed
because technical considerations like this are being placed
first by a leadership with a too-stubborn technical focus. And
this is the future of SCN's site, and of SCN itself, before our
eyes.

Rod Clark