SCN: The Bush definition of 'not dividing America'

David Barts davidb at scn.org
Mon Sep 17 18:18:52 PDT 2001

From: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010917-8.html

[...]

Q What items on the President's legislative agenda are now on the back
burner, shelved for the year?

MR. FLEISCHER: None. It was interesting -- none. It was interesting, at
the meeting last week with the Cabinet, the meeting of the Cabinet was
called for the purpose of discussing what the Cabinet members, again,
in collecting information from Cabinet Secretaries about the status of
combatting the attack on our country and dealing with it. At the end
of the meeting, however, the President called on all the members of the
Cabinet to take action on our domestic agenda.

The President reminded them that a patients' bill of rights remains
important; that there are a series of initiatives that are pending up
on the Hill that remain important. And he called on them to get done,
including education reform, which the President reminded them remains
a top priority domestically.

Q He doesn't expect to get it, surely?

MR. FLEISCHER: You know, Helen, I think it's interesting, the Congress
still has a job to do and we still are a constitutional system and that's
what has kept us strong and that's what is going to enable us to win. So
there is a domestic agenda, the President is committed to it. I think
it's fair to say that you'll hear less about it because of the dominance,
obviously, of dealing with an attack on our country.

But the President told the Cabinet members to be dedicated to it and
members of our staff are.

[...]

Q Can I just follow up on Helen's question. The President would like those
issues addressed this year, patients' rights, education and everything
that was on the plate, trade promotion authority, still this year?

MR. FLEISCHER: That was his charge to the Cabinet members.

Q Now, wouldn't that foster some disunity on the Hill? I mean, a lot of
those are very contentious issues and he's looking for a united Congress.

MR. FLEISCHER: You know, Keith, I guess that's one way to look at it. I
don't think that's the way the President looks at it. And I think that
in the wake of this there is a different mood in the Congress, and in
the Presidency about working with each other and cooperating with each
other. So I've made no such presumption. The issue should be, proceed
with the people's business on the domestic front and work together.

[...]

--
         David W. Barts (davidb at scn.org) / http://www.scn.org/~davidb
      "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and