SCN: Re: [webeditor_discussion] Hey guys

patrick fisher clariun at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 00:39:28 PST 2002

Yes! The achilles heel of Google. Seems people only use Google now. However, it does
have a major flaw: Only linking to sites according to sites linked to that site.

As much, as long, as I have been using the internet, AltaVista and all, Google has
been my searcher of choice, outside of dmoz.org.

P-

--- Jim Loring <design at eskimo.com> wrote:
> Hey guys -
>
> I think this would be more interesting... and fulfilling!
>
> From The Guardian (UK Newspaper)
>
> Gary Stock, a web entrepreneur, has invented a new pastime for bored
> internet users: Googlewhacking. The aim of the game is to find a
> combination of search terms which is so rare it returns only a single
> result on Google, the Search Engine Watch newsletter explains.
> Players win a point for each single result, another if they learn
> something, and a third if they "laugh even more" at the results.
> Current examples include "metronome dewpoint", "plectrum irradiation"
> and "orchestrator bamboozling". But the irony of the enterprise, Mr
> Stock points out, is that "success breeds failure... when you find a
> whack and report it online, that page will soon be crawled by Google
> and the Googlewhack will lose its uniqueness." Since this email will
> shortly be published online, the Informer is happy to confirm Mr
> Stock's prediction. "'Googlewhacking' is a new competitive sport that
> tests both your searching skills and your mastery of language - and
> it's catching on like wildfire!" writes Search Engine Watch
> optimistically.
>
> * Thanks to Roberta Kedwierski for sending in this story. The Informer
> welcomes unusual news reports from around the world. Email
> suggestions to informer at guardianunlimited.co.uk, and please include
> the source.

> Buy Stock for $4.
> No Minimums.
> FREE Money 2002.
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/6GDALA/VovDAA/ySSFAA/xYTolB/TM

=====
Webmaster
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"