Fw: SCN: Re: your mail (fwd)

emailer1 emailer1 at netzero.net
Mon Apr 1 02:12:34 PST 2002

I doubt that Patrick really would disagree with Doug.  They both seem to
want SCNA to grow.

I like Doug's emphasis on SOCIAL + TECHNOLOGICAL.

That is the basis of my urging that we explore other Free Nets to see HOW
SCNA can grow.  If those networks have some good ideas, we should find out
about those ideas.

BTW, to simply ASSUME that exploring new options would be useless is a waste
of bandwidth.

> [...]
> > >      _________________________________________________________________
> > >
> > >      The Seattle Community Network (SCN) is a free public-access
> > >      computer network for exchanging and accessing information. Beyond
> > >      that, however, it is a service conceived for community
empowerment.
> > >      Our principles are a series of commitments to help guide the
> > >      ongoing development and management of the system for both the
> > >      organizers and participating individuals and organizations.
> > >
> > >   Commitment to Access
> > >
> > >      Access to the SCN will be free to all
> > >      * We will provide access to all groups of people particularly
those
> > >        without ready access to information technology.
> > >      * We will provide access to people with diverse needs. This may
> > >        include special-purpose interfaces.
> > >      * We will make the SCN accessible from public places.
> > >
> > >   Commitment to Service
> > >
> > >      The SCN will offer reliable and responsive service
> > >      * We will provide information that is timely and useful to the
> > >        community.
> > >      * We will provide access to databases and other services.
> > >
> > >   Commitment to Democracy
> > >
> > >      The SCN will promote participation in government and public
> > >      dialogue
> > >      * The community will be actively involved in the ongoing
development
> > >        of the SCN.
> > >      * We will place high value in freedom of speech and expression
and
> > >        in the free exchange of ideas.
> > >      * We will make every effort to ensure privacy of the system
users.
> > >      * We will support democratic use of electronic technology.
> > >
> > >   Commitment to the World Community
> > >
> > >      In addition to serving the local community, we will become part
of
> > >      the regional, national and international community
> > >      * We will build a system that can serve as a model for other
> > >        communities.
> > >
> > >   Commitment to the Future
> > >
> > >      We will continue to evolve and improve the SCN
> > >      * We will explore the use of innovative applications such as
> > >        electronic town halls for community governance, or electronic
> > >        encyclopedias for enhanced access to information.
> > >      * We will work with information providers and with groups
involved
> > >        in similar projects using other media.
> > >      * We will solicit feedback on the technology as it is used, and
make
> > >        it as accessible and humane as possible.
> > >

> > >    ******************************************************************
> > >    *     SHAPING THE NETWORK SOCIETY                                *
> > >    *          Patterns for Participation, Action, and Change        *
> > >    *                  http://www.cpsr.org/conferences/diac02        *
> > >    * Tomorrow's information and communication infrastructure        *
> > >    *   is being shaped today.                                       *
> > >    *                              But by whom and to what ends?     *

Floriday. They
> > > have

And as

====