SCN: Re: principles

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Mon Apr 1 23:22:10 PST 2002

I am indeed a little confused here.  Let's sort it out.

To the extent that people access SCN _from_ the Internet they implicitly
_already have_ access _to_ the Internet, independently of SCN.  It seems
to me that you're saying we should provide Internet access to those that
already have it.

The "particular advantage" of accessing SCN via dialup is for the inverse
case of those (like myself) that otherwise are without access to the
Internet.  For sure it has its limitations, but if (as has been suggested)
we dropped the dailup lines then reaching SCN would be subordinate to
reaching the Internet, which would be conditioned on paying monthly fees
to the likes of Qwest/AT&T/MCI/AOL/etc.

One interpretation of what you may be saying is that SCN provide some
_other_ kind of access to the Internet as would permit full graphic
browers _back_ to SCN.  Well, if you're talking about some sort of walk-up
kiosk, to a large extent we already have that.  If you're talking about
accessing the Internet and/or SCN (with full graphics) from home, well,
that's either broadband (Qwest...) or--dialup!  And if we had the Internet
connection for doing that (and were set up for it) it could be done
directly, without any kind of backtracking.  But perhaps this wasn't what
you meant.

(Such considerations all tending back the original question of purpose.)