SCN: Kiosks

Locke, Ti tlocke at kcts.org
Tue Apr 2 13:20:49 PST 2002

Well then...it just so happens that I'm hacking my way through a five-year
paln for SCN. In it's current and cumbersome first draft, the plan
encompasses just about everything anyone has ever said that SCN should
do...dating back to 1994, when my involvement with SCN started. (I was
cleaning my files and discovered a cache of newsgroup printouts/emails,
etc...)

Certain themes have continued through the years and information kiosks is
one...I used to create these in another life, so I'm pretty clear on the
costs, maintenance, etc.

Feel free to fire off any ideas y'all have to me, just remember that there
are two caveats per what SCN can and cannot do.

#1 is our relationship to the Seattle Public Library
	--we cannot charge for our services;
	--our bandwidth, as it were, is limited; and
	--we **could** get wildly successful and be able to separate from
the library...

#2 is that our primary function as a 501(c)3 is education.

Everything flows from these two points. I'm a grantwriter and have had to
let numerous opportunities slide by while we pulled all the pieces together
to have a web site that was at least navigable. That means back of the the
shop and front: hardware, software AND reorganizing the "look" of the SCN
site. The good news is that we're getting there...

Ti Locke
KCTS Television
401 Mercer; Seattle, WA 98109
Direct: 206/443-4860  Fax: 206/443-6691